How/where can I buy a prepaid microSIM for the iPhone online?

• Thread starter Thread starter SGMD1
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 8,729

SGMD1

ISP
NA
I live outside India and just bought an iPhone 4S; I'd like to buy a prepaid SIM for it before I come to India in December. Is there any way to do this?

i don't think so.you have to buy a sim once you get here.

micro sim is mostly available with all the service provider AFAIK, however if you are out of India and coming here, Getting a MATRIX would be an option. Recently( yesterday ) My friend had same dilemma and asked me to send the sim card via FedEx, it costs 2K for fastest delivery ( a week or so) , and for slowest is 850 ( 15 or more days), I told him to turn off the phone when he reaches to India, find a STD booth call me and then I can give him the card when I see him...

yeah. you can get matrix. but matrix is damn expensive (my experience).

I live outside India and just bought an iPhone 4S; I'd like to buy a prepaid SIM for it before I come to India in December. Is there any way to do this?

You can't buy a sim online as you have to furnish identification data to purchase a sim card. You can, however, buy a sim on arrival at some of the major airports after furnishing a copy of your passport and a photograph.

Not all service providers provide micro-sims. The official iPhone 4 carriers (Airtel and Aircel) provide micro-sims and so does Vodafone. But you can get a regular sim-card cut to micro-sim size at most mobile shops.

Thanks for all the quick replies! I was in India last year and I remember having to give my passport/proof of residence/etc. to get an MTNL 3G SIM; it was a huge hassle so I was hoping to be able to get it out of the way before I arrive this time. Oh well.When I was in Delhi last year Airtel 3G hadn't gone live yet...how is the Airtel 3G coverage in Delhi NCR now?

earlier, it was rather easier to get sim cards here in india.but, due to internal security, you have to give concrete documents relating to your identification. it's not bad though.

Thanks for all the quick replies! I was in India last year and I remember having to give my passport/proof of residence/etc. to get an MTNL 3G SIM; it was a huge hassle so I was hoping to be able to get it out of the way before I arrive this time. Oh well.

When I was in Delhi last year Airtel 3G hadn't gone live yet...how is the Airtel 3G coverage in Delhi NCR now?

I you land in Delhi you should be able to get a sim card at the Airport itself. There is an Airtel shop at the exit gate.

Airtel has 3G connectivity in almost all parts of NCR now. The signal could flicker when travelling and you may keep switching between Edge and 3G when travelling on the outskirts/less populated areas. 3G is pretty costly atm.