How to use static IP with bridged mode?

@jay007 just call up 121 and request customer support to have the backend team change the Airtel router into bridge mode. Though you can change it in the router config page it normally does not work until their backend servers are properly configured. The LAN port that is configured for bridge mode may not be functional. Also keep in mind with bridge mode, your connection will have 2 PPPoE connections. One by Airtel's router and the other your own.
So they have bridged my ont(and kept the internet and t069 profile) but it keeps getting isp timeout, seems like I only have 1 pppoe access. Should I leave it like this or raise an issue?

@dkdhanda8 have you plugged in your router using a LAN cable into the correct Airtel ONT LAN port? They normally bridge LAN port 4.

@Rehan Kumar each connection has one static IPv4 address per network interface. If you have multiple static IPs you can use either one. Airtel offered 2 I just declined and thought of going with just one. It's still to be implemented 5 days later. Airtel's service is slackening big time.

I am using multiple static IPv4 address through a single connection though earlier there was no single MAC/ont limit for static IPs
Could just use an unmanaged switch and assign different public IPv4 to different devices but need to do L3 routing to achieve the same now

Last edited:
timeout thing is same for me on static Ip, I gave up, using default ont. If anyone gets any response from airtel regarding this, please let me know here.

Yes it has increased to Rs 199/mth + GST. I am trying a static IP for a month to see if it makes a positive difference compared to PPPoE. The tech/engineer is finally visiting tomorrow to configure the router. These guys are slow as mollasses.

Those who got it for 99/month still paying same or the increased price?

Those who got it for 99/month still paying same or the increased price?

I've had it under the 99/month pricing for nearly 4 years, but has since been increased to 199/month from this month (was notified about this change last month). Recently moved from VDSL to fiber.

Anyone on old price 99/month in Chennai still?

Static IP is Rs 199 + GST per month. I think subscribers are being moved to the new pricing slab.

Anyways, my Airtel static IPv4 was finally activated today. The engineer came over gave me the details that entered into the pfSense WAN interface configuration. Here is how it is done:

Static IP address - xxx.aaa.yyy.zzz
Subnet mask - /24 CIDR or 255.255.255.0
Default gateway - The first 3 octets of your IP address dot 1. i.e. xxx.aaa.yyy.1
DNS - Specifiy a IPv4 DNS of your choice

Steps should be applicable to any router's WAN port. As would be expected, the bridged Nokia modem-router is unaffected by this change. Increase in speed? Yes, about 10-20% at first glance. Worth the extra 200 bucks? Well, I am trying this for a month to check and may go back to DHCP in case I can't justify the extra cost.

PS - no word on IPv6 roll out as per the engineer at least in my area of the city.

Last edited:
@AshikAliLive no, I haven't noticed any change in latency. The IP shows up as from Airtel Mumbai but as I have mentioned several times before geo location information is always a estimate. Many sites that reveal this information mention this caveat. For e.g. my IP address with a PPPoE connection showed up as Mumbai, Pune, Nashik and other places in MH. It is not a concern..at least to me.

Last edited: