How to use a spare WiFi router for my TATA Sky LAN port?

• Thread starter Thread starter VivR
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 5,929

VivR

searcher
ISP
Airtel, MTNL and Reliance
Wifi routers are supposed to output internet through their antennas. Would it be possible to make those antennas to receive (input) wifi signals from another wifi routers and output through their LAN port.I have internet at my home from Airtel through Airtel Wifi router. I also have a spare wifi router, which i want to use for my Tata Sky LAN port (recently opened and functional). Would it be possible?As the airtel wifi router and Tata sky box are in separate rooms, i don't want to try running/wiring lengthy LAN cables.Thanks for any suggestion.Vivek

Yes if your spare router supports wireless repeating function

Yes if your spare router supports wireless repeating function

Hi!

Thanx for ur reply!

The spare router i have is Wireless-G Router WGR614v9. I found an online user manual of it here. Fortunately, on page no. 58 (4-10), it has been given that it can be used as a wireless repeater (what u said probably) and details and diagram for the same is given, however, it asks to connect the router with an ethernet cable to the main router, which actually defeat the purpose for the obvious reason that if i have to bring the wire all the way from one router to another why will i not plug that directly into the TS+ HD box, instead of making it via the spare router or repeater. 🙁

For the record, i have made some further search and found out that while my spare Netgear router has wireless repeating function in it, the Beetel ADSL router provided by Airtel, does lack this functionality, and in order to make a router work as a repeater both the routers supposed to have this feature. Even a custom firmware, like DDWRT, could not be cooked into Beetel router because this is not in their supported routers list. 🙁

yeah i guess both routers need to support wireless repeating functions, sorry i do not have two routers to try

Does the STB support a wifi dongle via the USB port? If it does then you could solve the problem that way.

Does the STB support a wifi dongle via the USB port? If it does then you could solve the problem that way.

Unfortunately, it doesn't. I have checked it with my Airtel USB dongal and nothing happens.

Unfortunately, it doesn't. I have checked it with my Airtel USB dongal and nothing happens.

I did not mean a 3G dongle. I was referring to a wifi dongle. The one you would use if you wanted to connect your desktop to your wifi network.