MTNL Delhi How to surrender MTNL Broadband Connection

you are in for an experience.

you have to go to the nearest sanchar haat if you want to get refund, along with the instrument MTNL gave you. They will make you write a letter too asking you wish to surrender your connection. You might get Rs 500 back if you gave this security deposit.

Also call 1500 to make them cancel your connection.

I am going to do the same next month... when I get the Excitel broadband connection next month....

look forward to know the process...

Someone told me..... the easiest way is stop paying the bill.... but will be a problem if at any later time we need MTNL landline....

Last edited:
Yep. As @anant.del mentioned, write a letter and take all of the equipment(down to the last wire that they gave) to their office. I don't remember that calling helped because the person would ask you to visit the sanchaar haat anyway. Then be prepared to go up and down their office completing formalities. lol For the refund, they will give you account clearance. Make sure your past bills are paid. The account officer will tell the remaining procedure.

In my case, I was asked to pay one more bill and wait for a month before applying for refund. I never went back though. lol

Last edited:
Also, be ready to receive bills after the connection is closed. Received three bills after closure of my MTNL connection in August last year. Emailed the hell out of everybody from CMD downwards. Put the Minister in copy and a 10-15 emails later all the bills were cancelled.

or better change to cheapest voice plan (200)like me with trib aa broadband plan.
line would be automatically disconnected after 2nd bill of 200+200+tax. security you paid would be 1000Rs.

Next time if you ever apply for connection(i don't gonna happen with pvt operators development) , plainly tell mtnl account officers mtnl owes you money instead, security deposit minus the last few bills. worked for me last time when security deposit was 3000 and now 1000 security deposit and again not paid.

Last edited:
In mumbai, if u have any billing issue (after disconnection)

always look at back of bill.. find accounts officer's number (of ur area)

call him and it works well.

2-3 times AO helped me with issue.

You may be have to follow up few times but it works "peacefully" if u r patient enough!

I got my connection deactivated in April. The bill I received was till the last active day of my connection. From next month onwards I have not got any other Bill. Make sure when you get the previous bill, check for the start and end dates. Also check your account on CUSTOMER WEB SELF CARE
If it's active on this one then you need to visit Snachar Haat again.