How to Start a Commercial FM Station?

rockyaquarius

ISP
Airtel
Folks, I wanna know how to start a commercial High Power FM Radio Station in bangalore,India. What licenses one is supposed to get and from where? and what kinda capital and equipment is required for the same? Pls advice.

Hi,

To start a FM Station you have to get permission from MIB (Minstry of Information & Broadcasting). The licence fees is

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]Minimum Net Worth required for one channel per center in all regions: §[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]D category Centers: Rs. 50 Lakhs.
§[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]C category Centers: Rs. 1 Crore.
§[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]B category Centers: Rs. 2 Crore.
§[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]A or A+ category Centers: Rs. 3 Crore.
§[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]All Centers: Rs. 10 Crore.

Annual Fee shall be charged @ 4% of gross revenue, for the year

Category A+ -> MetroCitiesCategory A -> Population above 20 lakhsCategory B -> Population above 10 and upto 20 lakhsCategory C -> Population above 3 Lakhs and upto 10 lakhsCategory D -> Population above 1 lakh and upto 3 lakhs

So within 1.5 crores you can setup your own FM radio station.Its cheap then!😉

@ ganesh_dth :If i plan to set up a commercial FM station(in bangalore), can u tell me where do i start? shud i look for venture capitalists and if so, where?

Hello Im from chandigarh and planning to buy/lease a radio station.What i wanted to know was:1) What all licences are required.2) whom to contact for the buy/lease.3) How much capital are we looking at? estimated pop chd: 900K Thanks & RegardsYash Chandra

Hi,Actually i m from small town, the population is atound 1 Lakh (max).Need to start my own FM Station for our town. but dont want high coverage.need the frequency which can receive the signal maximum 20 Kilometers. not more than that.]Actually the town is located between 2 big cities. and here we could not here any signal, Coz the signals are overlaping. [ i don't know how to explain this. 🙂) ]n got an idea to start my own FM Station for our town.What are the charges. please guide me through this.( anybody ) please

Currently all the FM radio licenses have been won by successful bidders and they have started their operations already. The govt. is bringing out a policy paper for fm radio expansion and among the critical discussions is the channel separation. Currently the separation between one channel and the other is 800 khz minimum. The paper is trying to reduce that to 400 khz as suggested by TRAI. Should that happen, B'lore as much as all of India is ready to double the number of station licenses on offer. To summarise B'lore might have 7 to 8 more licenses available for open bidding soon. We at Soundboard Media believe that India is awaiting what will clearly be the most rapid and explosive expansion of the medium.The future is sound.