How to set up my notebook as a Wi-Fi Hotspot!

Piyush Chandra

Curious!
[OP]
Regulars
Aug 30, 2011
hi guys.....I have a dsl wired broadband connection. and i wanna turn my laptop as a wi-fi hotspot for other devices (samsung galaxy s). so that they can access my lan connection and share internet.I have done quite a research on google and found there is connectify (free app) and virtual router (ms app) which can do it attomatically. i have no success so far. have tried a lot with them. my phone recognizes the ssis network i give but never get registered. (keeps obtaining ip address)secondly have manually done through command prompt. i fired up a virtual wi-fi router (atheros virtual wi-fi in my lappy) and then sarted it. my phone detects the wifi network i created through commands and gets registred at 65mbps signal connection but then gets disconnected.same a case with virtual router app.so guys hre i am with my problem. does anyone know how to sucessfully set up a wi-fi hotpot so that the lan or wired internet can be shared through other devices.i know it cant be done in mac. but mine is win7 64bit. (home premium).....

Piyush Chandra

Curious!
[OP]
Regulars
Aug 30, 2011
Connectify drain the battery quickly. You can get a Belkin (or other ) WiFi router (which can be used with normal BSNL/ Airtel / other ADSL modem) for around Rs. 1,500.

If you are particular about using Connectify, use Revo Uninstaller and uninstall in completely. Then use this guide

Turn Your Windows 7 Laptop into a WiFi Hotspot with Connectify - How-To Geek

actually i know it can be very easily done through a hardware. but my post was more of a software centric. you can find many a links which boast of doing it through softwares or mannual tweaks. there is a whole journell about this @ msdn microsoft.

yesterday i tried some stuff n almost got it dere. my phone showed n connected to my created network. but den got disconnected, that means a virtual wi-fi connectin can be created that is capable of broadcasting wi-fi over to share the lan.

Piyush Chandra

Curious!
[OP]
Regulars
Aug 30, 2011
@ meetdilipyes have uninstalled connectify. thanks for the link. hope its helpful.

AbhishekMSharma

Regulars
Jul 11, 2011
Mumbai, India
I have been using Connectify for quite a lot of time without any issues. Make sure you configure it correctly. And yes, the battery drains down at a quicker rate but not too much. For me, Connectify is the ideal software to use to use a laptop as a wi-fi hotspot.

Piyush Chandra

Curious!
[OP]
Regulars
Aug 30, 2011
I have been using Connectify for quite a lot of time without any issues. Make sure you configure it correctly. And yes, the battery drains down at a quicker rate but not too much. For me, Connectify is the ideal software to use to use a laptop as a wi-fi hotspot.

how have you configured that....mine isnt responding it just keep connecting to the ip addresses and then get disconnected.
here is what i have done.

hotspot name- connectify me
>password....
>internet=lan sharing
>wifi - wireless connection
wap2-psk password

start hotspot.....

thats it.

m i doing right.
mne is ver 3.0

----------

nope still not workin after reinstalllin same problem.

AbhishekMSharma

Regulars
Jul 11, 2011
Mumbai, India
I am on v2.2

Wi-Fi Name: As you wish
Password: As you wish
Internet: MTNL (I use a USB Dongle and the netwok name is MTNL)
Wi-Fi: Wireless Network Connection
Mode: Access Point, WPA2-PSK