• Thread starter Thread starter uthfull
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 8,508

uthfull

Uthfull.org
ISP
Aitel U/L 512kbps
I have Windows XP and a 80 GB HDD with four partitions.Last time I installed Win98SE, my computer got screwed up. It only booted 98 and I had no option for selecting XP. I reinstalled XP and then it stopped showing 98.Now what I want to ask is that now I have XP fine but I also wish to install 98SE. But it should not cause the same error as it did last time.Please advise. I wish to install it on a different partition.

install XP after Windows 98 SE.... that would work fine.

But thats the problem... i already have XP installed. I don't want to remove it.

wont work. u cannot install 98 over xp without corrupting ur xp installation. unless of course u install a custom boot loader which can do that for you...

I think it should not be a problem to fix back the boot loader after installing windows 98, after installing it, boot into your windows XP cd and select the recovery console. Now type "fixmbr" to restore your boot loader. After this, you will have the edit the boot.ini file to add windows 98 to that list. This I do not know much about 🙂. By the way could also use a third party boot loader like XOSL or GRUB.

I've been trying to install Windows 98 SE on VMware. But the installation says that i need to have a FAT or FAT32 drive to install 98 on it. Isn't there a way by which i can install 98 on an NTFS partition?I am using VMware 5.5.0.

nope you will need to prepare a fat32 partition . If you want to use windows 98 with xp it is very much recommended that c:\ should be fat32 and 98 should be on c:\ ( so it will work even if all other drives are ntfs but 98 wont detect ntfs drives ) .. If all your drives are fat32 then no problem u can put xp or 98 on any of drive . Install xp after 98 .... or as ujjwall said repair bootloader after 98 setup ( recovery console from cd and fixboot ) .

edit edit : You can use http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/NtfsWindows98.html to access ntfs from windows 98 .. but ur c:\ still need to be fat32 to hold win 98 os .

I've been trying to install Windows 98 SE on VMware. But the installation says that i need to have a FAT or FAT32 drive to install 98 on it.
[/b]

I need to install Win95 (and 98) every other week to test programs. This is what I do:

1. Create a VMWare image with "blank" disk and 64 MB RAM [[Free and Legal downloads available]]
2. Download bootable MSDOS ISO or Linux ISO [[Free and Legal downloads available]]
3. Keep an ISO with Win 95 / Win 98 installation ready ready
4. Boot VM with ISO and create FAT / FAT32 primary partition.
5. Reboot VM with DOS ISO
6. Remove DOS ISO CD in VM insert ISO with Win98 installer
7. Srart setup /is /in

I have Win XP with NTFS.

Windows98 will not install on NTFS. It requires FAT32 or similar type as NTFS was developed after windows 98, and so windows 98 does not recognize this type of partition. Try using Virtual PC in place of VMware. It is free from Microsoft & supports MS OSs very well. I think it will work great for linux & others too but you can use VMware for that. Next as far as I think you will have to use fdisk or some other disk partitioning manager to partition your Virtual Hard Disk. After partitioning, use some format utility to format it & then you'll be on your way. Ravi.