how to replace the antenna of a 450 bx1 router?

• Thread starter Thread starter Micho
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 1,999

Micho

ISP
Airtel
Hi guys,has anyone succeeded on this? As opposed to other routers from Linksys, Netgear, etc., the antenna itself cannot be unscrewed (there's a small plastic stub). Then again, it's a regular antenna; don't see why it should be any different from any other.The connection is very week in the master bedroom. I am tempted to clip off the stub and if I can screw off the antenna and have it replaced with an aftermarket 6dBi or so version (these are dirt cheap if bought from eBay sellers in Hong Kong). Anyway, would appreciate if anyone can share his/her experiences upgrading this model's antenna or can comment.Micho.

first try to go to 192.168.1.1/main.htmlgo to wireless and then advancedset the transmit power to 100%might just help outdefault setting was 40% in mine

Thanks for the suggestion... I've checked and the transmission power is already set at 100%.

The frequency is around 2.4Ghz and the antenna inside the rubber covering is a short thick copper wire. ( for quarter wave length.)To replace it with another antenna you have to open the case and modify the (BNC ?) base .An electronic shop technician ( or a shop dealing with repairingcar radios ) suggested .Feed back please.Para two:An aluminium foil can be placed at a distance trial and error , experimentation required))to work like a reflector.

Hi, for what is worth, I just placed aluminum foil on the wall with adhesive tape right behind the antenna. The signal strength did improve in the opposite side (master bedroom).

i have the same router in a 1000 sq. ft. house ............and it covers 2 floors without any problem ............. the signal strength is excellent or "very good"....never goes below that ............... 🙂