How to replace hard disk in Airtel Digital TV DTH DVR?

• Thread starter Thread starter Dj1018
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 11,065
ISP
Ooredoo
Can u tell me what is file format for neww hdd cause my old hdd crashed in the stb and now i want to change it can anyone help me what can be done

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats the problem cant contact airtel

Didn't understand this. Why can't you contact Airtel for help? Yes they will charge you for repair or replacement of the drive or even the entire STB but there's no getting around the fact that you will need their support.

device i fine signal is fine only hdd is faulty now that i have changed it i think i need the right format

Bro that's what I am saying..the bootloader and its signature will be unique to the manufacturer of the STB. The drive itself may be formatted with standard file systems like NTFS/FAT32 or ExtFAT. But without the bootloader and signature the drive will not be recognized by the firmware. All STBs are proprietary systems it is not plug and play like replacing a drive in a USB enclosure.

PS - Also make sure the new HDD is the same capacity as the old one. There could be firmware limitations on recognizing larger hard disks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
weird. i got a notification where he said that he did contact airtel and they told him that he would need to buy a new dvr stb. i cannot find that message now. 😮

nm. it's just above.

Upvote 0
Didn't understand this. Why can't you contact Airtel for help? Yes they will charge you for repair or replacement of the drive or even the entire STB but there's no getting around the fact that you will need their support.

Bro that's what I am saying..the bootloader and its signature will be unique to the manufacturer of the STB. The drive itself may be formatted with standard file systems like NTFS/FAT32 or ExtFAT. But without the bootloader and signature the drive will not be recognized by the firmware. All STBs are proprietary systems it is not plug and play like replacing a drive in a USB enclosure.
Ok if thats so if i clone the hdd from one airtel stb to another new hdd will it work since its a cloned hdd

Upvote 0
Ok if thats so if i clone the hdd from one airtel stb to another new hdd will it work since its a cloned hdd

@Dj1018 if the drive is spinning up you could attempt to clone the drive. However, the PC may or may not recognize a proprietary signature and ask you to format the original drive. I would be careful. Do not partition the original drive with the PC specific MBR/GUID partition.

Upvote 0
Ok i got it to work i cloned the hdd from another airtel hdd and it worked perfectly fine with higher 1 tb capacity

Upvote 0