How to prevent your PEN drive from VIRUS

• Thread starter Thread starter Robdale
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 8,695

Robdale

ISP
Comcast
Friends many of your PC/laptop's normally gets virus because of Pen Drives or USB devices (Even PC's who are not connected to network ). Some Virus like Ravmon Virus , Heap41a worm which are not detected by anti virus normally spreads mostly by the Pen Drives . In such a case what can you do to prevent your PC from getting infected with Virus that spreads through USB devices or Pen Drives ?

You can protect your PC by just following the simple steps below . It won't take much time.

Connect your Pen Drive or USB drive to your computer .

Now a dialogue window will popup asking you to choose among the options as shown in the figure

Don't choose any of them , Just simply click Cancel.

* Now go to Start--> Run and type cmd to open the Command Prompt window
* Now go to My Computer and Check the Drive letter of your USB drive or Pen Drive. ( E.g. If it is written Kingston (I , then I: will be the drive letter .)
* In the Command Window ( cmd ) , type the drive letter: and Hit Enter .
* Now type dir/w/o/a/p and Hit Enter
* You will get a list of files . In the list , search if anyone of the following do exist:

1. Autorun.inf
2. New Folder.exe
3. Bha.vbs
4. Iexplore.vbs
5. Info.exe
6. New_Folder.exe
7. Ravmon.exe
8. RVHost.exe or any other files with .exe Extension .

If you find any one of the files above , Run the command attrib -h -r -s -a *.* and Hit Enter.
Now Delete each File using the following Command del filename ( E.g del autorun.inf ) .

That's it . Now just scan your USB drive with the anti virus you have to ensure that you made your Pen Drive free of Virus .

Hi Friends...
This virus is very very common now...
To know whether ur system is infected just type C:\heap41a in the address bar...
if there is a folder named heap41a, then ur system is infected...
(AVAST antivirus is the best solution for this worm...) symantec also works.

Thanks.

Thank you for the info !Nice Article..

For antivirus my personal choice is QuickHeal Total Security 2009. It automatically delete autorun.inf and other infected files as soon as i plug my pendrive to pcTry this and you won't be disappointed.one suggestion from Digit magazine....it is very usefullopen cmd prompt Start > Run > type cmd > enter type drive letter d: and enter then in D: drive make a folder named autorun.infand like this make a folder named autorun.inf to your pen drive. Windows does not allow two things with same file name at a place. thus in your pen drive autorun.inf file will not be created by worm.

the title of the article is misleading it means how to prevent the virus from getting into the pen drive. doing what u said wont stop it from entering the pen drive again if inserted into an affected PC

Exactly , to prevent a pen drive from getting a virus , you will have to enable write protection or something

I thought you were going to share something extraordinary:wall:

the title of the article is misleading

it means how to prevent the virus from getting into the pen drive.

doing what u said wont stop it from entering the pen drive again if inserted into an affected PC

Its one n the same buddy.

Friends many of your PC/laptop's normally gets virus because of Pen Drives or USB devices (Even PC's who are not connected to network ). Some Virus like Ravmon Virus , Heap41a worm which are not detected by anti virus normally spreads mostly by the Pen Drives . In such a case what can you do to prevent your PC from getting infected with Virus that spreads through USB devices or Pen Drives ?

You can protect your PC by just following the simple steps below . It won't take much time.

Connect your Pen Drive or USB drive to your computer .

Now a dialogue window will popup asking you to choose among the options as shown in the figure

Don't choose any of them , Just simply click Cancel.

* Now go to Start--> Run and type cmd to open the Command Prompt window
* Now go to My Computer and Check the Drive letter of your USB drive or Pen Drive. ( E.g. If it is written Kingston (I , then I: will be the drive letter .)
* In the Command Window ( cmd ) , type the drive letter: and Hit Enter .
* Now type dir/w/o/a/p and Hit Enter
* You will get a list of files . In the list , search if anyone of the following do exist:

1. Autorun.inf
2. New Folder.exe
3. Bha.vbs
4. Iexplore.vbs
5. Info.exe
6. New_Folder.exe
7. Ravmon.exe
8. RVHost.exe or any other files with .exe Extension .

If you find any one of the files above , Run the command attrib -h -r -s -a *.* and Hit Enter.
Now Delete each File using the following Command del filename ( E.g del autorun.inf ) .

That's it . Now just scan your USB drive with the anti virus you have to ensure that you made your Pen Drive free of Virus .

Hi Friends...
This virus is very very common now...
To know whether ur system is infected just type C:\heap41a in the address bar...
if there is a folder named heap41a, then ur system is infected...
(AVAST antivirus is the best solution for this worm...) symantec also works.

Thanks.

Robdale Thaks 4 the sharing this type valuable thing :yahoo: once again thaks:thumbsup:

the suggestion link about creating a hidden system folder names autorun.inf sounds useful, i will do it for all my drives 🙂

I like the check process only thing its a bit lenghty but i liked it:thumbsup: