How to know that i have bsnl 3g sim

you will get H/H+ symbol only if you switch on mobile data. but it does not mean that you need to activate mobile data to connect to 3g n/w. just switch off mobile data and go to settings you will see that you are still connected to HSPA n/w.

you only need to activate mobile data if you require access to internet

Hi, Thanks for the wealth of informations. Itmz, you are correct, when connected with wifi, it does not show H+ symbol.I could as well , would have activated 3g without getting a new card, from what citrus is telling. I was having cut microsim 2g, and would have migrated to 3g. But I still have doubt , whether a 2g bought sim, would support what the 3g sim . I do not know, why when asking to upgrade to 3g, they could as well advise that there is no need to buy a new sim. Is it not?
Moreover, i was told to activate GPRS by sending START TO 1925, Which i did to get 3g activated.

Bsnl started giving both 3g & 2g compatible sims from last 3 years. before that they used to give '2g only' sims if you did not subscribe to 3g plan. so only if you have old '2g only' sim you need to get new 3g/2g sim. if you have bought the sim in the past 3 years, it is already 3g compatible and you don't require a new sim

It is also a peculiar thing to inform that when i tilt or change the direction of my phone to different dierections from the same place, there is fluctuations in signal bars. When i position to the cell tower direction , it goes full bars and by changing it fluctuates between 2 and 3. So , it is to be noted that you have to go to the open place to get full signal. Am i correct?

Hi, Itmz, I bought the sim long back. So, what i have done is a correct measure from what you are saying. So, older 2g sims , need to be replaced with compatible 3/2g sims to get better data speed. Thanks for that information also. I was having problem both in phone and net connectivity and then only surfed thro the net to find that there is availability of new sims.

Hi, Itmz, I bought the sim long back. So, what i have done is a correct measure from what you are saying. So, older 2g sims , need to be replaced with compatible 3/2g sims to get better data speed. Thanks for that information also. I was having problem both in phone and net connectivity and then only surfed thro the net to find that there is availability of new sims.