How to hook up Tata sky HD STB to home theater system for 5.1 Surround sound for the HD channels?

• Thread starter Thread starter Rajeevraj
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 47
  • Views Views 50,317
Anil! just grab a cable and connect the coaxial out from the STB to your coaxial in on your Home theatre and you will get 5.1!

after having a long telephonic converstation with Tata Sky constumer care, the person told me that coaxial out on tatasky HD settopbox is not activated and it doesnt have an analogue 5.1 audio out. i guess i wont buy it, as i watch fifa on my lcd projector which is not HD

How is the stb connected to home theatre system? TS hd website shows connectivity to home theatre as a standard feature!

I don't have much knowledge abt this .. but I think HDMI supports upto 8 channels of compressed and uncompressed digital audio .. So if you are using HDMI than u just need to connect ur LCD's tv out to ur home theatre .. So rather than checking STB for 5.1 compatibility shouldn't we check if our TV set has the necessary ports .. isn't it ..

after having a long telephonic converstation with Tata Sky constumer care, the person told me that coaxial out on tatasky HD settopbox is not activated and it doesnt have an analogue 5.1 audio out. i guess i wont buy it, as i watch fifa on my lcd projector which is not HD

co-axial out is the same as the digital/spdif out right? This is definitely active. I have connected the co-axial out to the Digital In of my home theater and the 5.1 sound is clearly heard.

I dont think the customer care folks have complete proper info on HD as yet. The engineer who came to activate my box was telling me, this box supports HD channels but HD has not yet come, in future it will come etc...

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

I don't have much knowledge abt this .. but I think HDMI supports upto 8 channels of compressed and uncompressed digital audio .. So if you are using HDMI than u just need to connect ur LCD's tv out to ur home theatre ..
So rather than checking STB for 5.1 compatibility shouldn't we check if our TV set has the necessary ports .. isn't it ..

Most LCD's have HDMI in. But as far as I know only the very high end ones have HDMI out and 5.1 sound out. Mostly the audio out from the LCD is the standard L-R stereo. So even if audio out from TV is connected to hometheater, I think only the stereo sound will be heard

As per the review referred to in another post, digital optical output is for home theatre system, and cable is included. For video, cables for hdmi, component video and composite video are supplied.

Hitman you're partially correct! If a tv has optical out then you can get 5.1. Atleast in my case this is true..

I don't have much knowledge abt this .. but I think HDMI supports upto 8 channels of compressed and uncompressed digital audio .. So if you are using HDMI than u just need to connect ur LCD's tv out to ur home theatre ..
So rather than checking STB for 5.1 compatibility shouldn't we check if our TV set has the necessary ports .. isn't it ..

What about 2.1 music system.Can i connect the STB to music system through Aux feature, and through which cable ?

By any chance does anyone connected this Bose system to the Tata Sky box? Bose 321 GS Series III DVD Home Theater System - Bose Home Theater Entertainment Systems
It's a 2.1 system. What is the optimum way to do this? Do I need anything other than what's in the tata sky box? I also have some bose cables supplied with the system that I haven't used.

As a side note when I connect my computer to the tv, I simply connect one end to the computer and other to the tv. The bose system is them switched to "AUX" and the sound on the computer is switched to HDMI out. Is this the setup for the best results? Any help will be appreciated since I am a complete home theater noob! Thanks.

PPS: Please don't bitch on me for buying the bose, it wasn't my decision..

The only way to connect would be to use audio out and connect the red and white cables to get left and right audio channels.

The only way to connect would be to use audio out and connect the red and white cables to get left and right audio channels.

Thanks for your reply. Can't I connect it to the STB using optical/coaxial cables? I think the sound quality will be better. Anyone know which cables are supplied with the HD kit? Thanks.

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

Or if your HT supports it, run the HDMI from your STB to your reciever. And then run a HDMI from there to your TV. But i guess the normal HT's (Sony/Philips/Samsung etc) dont support HDMI through and you have to follow what is mentioned above.

Have you tried this? Which way is better, the coaxial way or hdmi to hdmi (my receiver supports this)? Also can one remove the old red/white analog cables- Since only then can we be truly certain that we are getting digital audio, right (if they are not removed the system might not use digital audio, might just use analog from what I read elsewhere)?

I have a Denon 5.1 receiver and my video+audio go through the HD STB to the receiver via HDM and then on to the TV via HDMI again. But I don't think the sound is proper 5.1. In ESPN / Star Sports, the commentary sounds weird. One second it will be coming from the rear left speaker and then it shifts to the front right. Plus the other sounds really fade while the commentator speaks. Nat Geo performs the best on 5.1. Discovery performs the worst, with sound only appearing to come from the center speaker.Basically I put the 5 channel stereo simulation mode on and then the sound is awesome! (though obviously not surround).