How to get started???

• Thread starter Thread starter dhawz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 1,071

dhawz

ISP
BSNL BB 1350
Hey guys,This is my first post so go easy on me. I jus got my BSNL BB connection. I'm on the 1350 4 Mbps plan.I have a D-Link DSL 2730U modem router. I'm on i3 Windows 7.I collected my modem today from the BSNL exchange office after they informed me that it has been configured and I can start using it. A password has been given to me.I have switched on my router..... I can see the following on my laptop's Wireless Network ConnectionNetwork name: BSNLetcetcSignal Strength: excellentSecurity Type: unsecuredThe icon on taskbar shows 5 bars full out of 5. It also shows "no internet access" when I roll my mouse pointer over it.My question is pretty simple.... How do I get started?? And how can I make it a secured network. I'm kinda of an illiterate with this.Thanks guys!!

a) If you have modem router, then BSNL modem is no use.b) The router has CD or on website an excellent PDF to say what and all you need to configure.I have the 2750U, it's CD never worked, but you can try using CD to configure. Nice quickstart guide is in Modem box.Today, I don't have time, if no one replies by tomorrow I can try.But you need the following details (which I don't have)BSNL'sVPI, VCIYour User NameYour Password.(Dont give the last two on the forum, but keep handy).Securing is VERY important.Otherwise if someone uses your internet to send threat to some politician indian govt agencies will try to do "Narco" test on you. :lol: (Yeah, they tried to do that to the foreigner whose account was used to send 26/11 e-mail, lucky fellow ran away.) You won't be able to run away.Enable WPA2-AES that is highest standard.DONT use standard SSID's chose some nice unique name. The standard SSIDs have been reverse engineered already.

Thanks Outspoken!I have my own router/modem. BSNL configured it for me.I get full signal strength but can't connect to internet. I see a yellow exclamation mark over the signal bar which says "no internet access". I still can't figure it out.

In TCP/IP properties of your connection, set obtain IP address automatically and check.

Hey guys, thanks for all your replies. My problem is finally solved. A yellow exclamation mark appeared all the time over the signal bar and showed "no internet access".This is what I did...Logged into Cmd as admin and typed ipconfig... the Ip address, default gateway etc etc appeared which is good news.Next I typed these to reset Winsock Catalognetsh winsock reset.catalog (press enter)One more thingnetsh int ipv4 reset reset.log (press enter)Restart the laptop. Problem solved. I have also secured my wireless connection by assigning it WPA2-Personal TKIP+AES security combination. I still have to change the default modem username and password which is like "admin" or something. I'll post this question in the modem threads.