How to get over with the need of antivirus

• Thread starter Thread starter yepp
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 1,913
ISP
susubh dont ban me
everywhere it is mentioned there is no essential need of antivirus for linux as it is secure, require user permission ...etc

I have checked there are some free variants like comondo,calm av anitivirus without firewall that will scan for windows based viruses are available.

Being a windows user I am using KIS from a long time and there is no home version of KIS for linux is available.

So what alternatives you guys use for replacing real time anitivirus + firewall solution in linux

linux has an inbuilt firewall too but its 'strict' configuration is quite complex or atleast it appeared to me so 😛

I am a full time Linux user since 2009. Haven't faced virus attack till today.

I am using Windows 8 Laptop since Windows 8 was launched. And I have never installed Anti-Virus at all till date on my laptop. But my browsing is very secure, I only visit limited sites like Youtube, Google, FB, Twitter, Yahoo, MSN. So I guess I dont have to worry about virus attack.
@yepp why do you need Anti-virus on Linux? Because I guess Virus may not attack/affect Linux applications.

I don't take any precautions. As long as you know to whom (application) you are giving root access, you are as safe as you could be.

I usually browse safe sites but sometimes while searching something I have to browse unfamiliar sites too

@SVK there are less virus for linux but there are some which may come from compromised sites.

Being a window users antivirus is both need and habit for me which gives the peace of mind 🙂

@Sai do you have some general tips for new linux user, I am still testing variants in VM

I am not an expert. I used to use Ubuntu. Tried all favors of it and have settled in Elementary OS. For newbies, Ubuntu with Unity/Elementary OS/Mint are my suggestions.

If you install linux in your main workstation, keep it clean. Don't try to do any modifications. Linux is easy to break. Do all sorts of modifications in a virtual environment.