How to get data off a corporate laptop that is completely locked?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 5,662

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
USB ports are blocked, the laptop does not appear on local network as networking policies restricts it outside the office network. Installation of software is blocked.
I was wondering if there is a p2p service that might work inside a web browser to get data out to another machine on the same network fast? Assuming it would bypass the internet and transfer locally?
The problem is that most of these services require a modern browser and the computer is as expected stuck on an older version of IE.
Nothing illegal basically. Some personal data that was stored on the office machine over the past 5 years.

You may just Backup the whole disk using Acronis Enterprise boot CD or any similar imaging software. It would take 20-30m for 100-150 GB data if you have USB 3.0 port present on both sides, I normally do that when the data is huge. You can explore and take out the files from the image from the same software.

Cannot change the boot sequence so cannot boot from the USB or CD Drive. If I could, I would have simply used a Ubuntu Live CD 🙂

If the boot option is locked, take out the hdd n put it in casing n backup. But normally Most companies don't play with the bios, atleast not happened in my case. Accessedworked for wipro, accenture, sathyam etc ...

hehe. do not have enough time to open the laptop and do it the hard way. would probably break so many company laws really... the hard disk is not encrypted from what i see which is nice i guess.