How to get data off a corporate laptop that is completely locked?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 5,661

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
USB ports are blocked, the laptop does not appear on local network as networking policies restricts it outside the office network. Installation of software is blocked.
I was wondering if there is a p2p service that might work inside a web browser to get data out to another machine on the same network fast? Assuming it would bypass the internet and transfer locally?
The problem is that most of these services require a modern browser and the computer is as expected stuck on an older version of IE.
Nothing illegal basically. Some personal data that was stored on the office machine over the past 5 years.

Ok, if you want to transfer data within same network, then IPMsg might do the trick? No?

Would have to see if it allows running unverified executables. Chrome installs does not require administrator powers as well these days so this alone is a major loophole.
Would be awesome if I can get Bittorrent Sync to work. Only have a few hours in the morning to try as sis-in-law is resigning today I think.

If its really personal stuff, I think some companies may allow you to take backup under admin supervision (or let the person take the backup for you), But then some companies dont allow you to keep personal stuff in your PC in the first place (policy-wise)
Any idea whats the size to take backup.. If its under 100 MB , maybe good old fashioned email might be fine?

The data is in GBs 😀 If it was little, it would have been much easier. And yeah, I assume she would ask the network guy to copy her personal stuff on pen drives as the last resort. As for company policies... God knows. I am sure loads of people store family photos on their office machines for wallpapers. My sister in law... She recently lost a portable hard drive with photos of my niece. The only copy she had. It's insane coz I had been asking her to get a cloud storage account for backup since like for ever.

Well, most companies keep a policy to safeguard themselves, but since this (keeping photos) is one of the small things that doesnt actually result in any Intellectual property issues, they tend to ignore it unless they find something offensive. Approx 3 years ago, 2 people were fired in my former company (asked to resign instead of dismissal due to manager intervention) when random checks by the network team remotely revealed them stupidly holding some offensive content in office PCs.

hehe. a friend of mine who worked in IBM actually stored shit load of movies and television series borrowed from me on his office machine to watch at home. thankfully, nothing was monitored as closely and he removed it all before submitting the machine at the time of resignation.

The thing is, few incidents make them be very very careful. And I compare the situation at onsite, when on my friends went and spoke to the US admin of client that there is some 500-600 MB of data that he needs to be in shared drive for access at offshore as he is returning back. The guy said - "why not just take a backup in pen drive, here -have one, I have too many lying around wasted" and handed him a 2 GB drive to take backup

Ah well. Of course. She spent the whole yesterday uploading files to Google Drive (!). She just told me that she has gotten most of the personal stuff online (I am however not really sure).
This is where you wish you had a super fast internet connection with great upload speeds. 🙂