how to get an SIP line in Mumbai

neilxdsouza

ISP
none
Hi All, I will be experimenting with Asterisk shortly. Initially thought of getting 3-4 PSTN lines for my testing purpose, but someone suggested I get an SIP line. Are there any Indian providers (eg MTNL) which has such a service? Does anyone have such a setup and does consulting work here?

Hi All, I will be experimenting with Asterisk shortly. Initially thought of getting 3-4 PSTN lines for my testing purpose, but someone suggested I get an SIP line. Are there any Indian providers (eg MTNL) which has such a service? Does anyone have such a setup and does consulting work here?

Unfortunately VOIP and PSTN are not allowed to interconnect in India (thank you DoT).

You'll have to stick with either analog (and put enough line cards in your Asterisk server to accommodate the number of lines you purchase) or purchase a SIP trunk from abroad, which will mean that any calls are being routed outside of India, but this will mean that your costs for calling India are higher than using the PSTN options.

Also that you wouldn't be able to have Indian phone numbers assigned to your SIP lines, so if your target market is India, you're out of luck. If it's the USA or UK or whatever, then no problem - it's relatively straightforward.