How to force Samsung Galaxy S III to use Google Contacts?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2,279

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
A friend of mine just got himself a S3. He has been an iPhone user since the very first version. He is based in USA. He contacted me and told me that he plans to replace it with an iPhone 5. I somewhat convinced him to give S3 a try. His first headache? Contacts. KIES imported contacts from iTunes to the phone. But they were not connected to his Google account. Android of course important all his contacts from Gmail which resulted in a duplicate mess. Now, I could not really understand what all options Samsung has to offer to make it sync with Google Contacts alone. There was an option named Merge with Google Account. Told him to select that and then sync. The question I want to ask is… How do I get his S3 to use Google Contacts in the future for all storage and syncing purposes? I would get him to sort his duplicates out from Google Contacts on his browser. But once he has cleaned up the mess… How do I check on the phone whether the contacts are being synced with Google or the other thing that Samsung uses?i actually have a better question. can itunes export iphone contacts to a format that can be imported into Gmail?so easier way for him would be to not use kies itself for contacts. export contacts from itunes to gmail and then sync contacts from gmail to the phone?

You can sync from iTunes to Microsoft Outlook and then export the contacts from Outlook to a csv file which can then be imported to Gmail.

can i have screenshots please?itunes does not have any export to file option? 😕

i got your point. that itunes has an option to export contacts to microsoft outlook. i was just wondering that itunes does not have a feature to export contacts to a file directly. i guess not. my friend should have microsoft outlook on his computer. so it should work for him. would ping him the information!

If he doesn't have Outlook installed, he can sync it with Windows Address Book and then export from Windows Address Book to csv.

Didn't suggest as I have never used it :smile:

Just tried clicking the option using a colleague's iPad. It asks for google account and password. Can't go beyond that as I don't want to screw his iPad contacts :friendlywink: It should work.

read the connected Apple document. should work for him. unless of course, apple has broken this feature in recent itunes updates.

hehe. i have sent him the details. poor chap is feeling overwhelmed with all the mess. i hope he does not give up and move back to the iPhone. :\