How to Crate A Wifi enabled Network for MTNL Using DSL 502T & Linksys WRT54GS

ashish hasrat

ISP
mtnl
Hello,I am using the DSL 502T for my MTNL Broadband. I also have a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router.Following are my Querries: 1. To create a wifi zone do i need both connected at the same time or will only the linksys suffice? 2. If only the Linksys will suffice then how does it get connected to the telephone outlet from the wall as the connectors are different sizes. The DSL 502T has a standard size telephone jack for the ADSL and am using a standard telephone line plugged into the slot whereas the linksys has a larger jack for the internet(LAN sized). What type of wire is to be used for this so can plug into the wall as well the router? 3. If i need both the DSL 502 as well as the linksys for wifi then what would be the process? A detailed response would be highly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.... Ashish

welcome to IBF.
I wish you had done a search on the forum, before starting a new thread, this reduces repetition.
Anyway to answer your question to access the net thru WiFi (laptop/s) or thru the LAN cable (desktop) you will need to switch on both the Link 502T as well as Linksys WRT54GS
To do the setup refer
Socrates?s experience: Configuring the D-Link 502T router for MTNL Broadband Do it yourself

The Linksys WRT54GS cant be far different from the WRT54G
Socrates?s experience: How to configure Linksys WRT54G wireless router

https://broadband.forum/mtnl-broadband/32526-problems-setting-up-wireless-router/

🙂

1. Both are required.
2.Answer

Para two : 1.Confirm you can connect to Internet with 502T ( is it DSL or GLB ?)
2.Then connect the RJ45 Lan cable from above modem to The "LAN sized" Internet port of WRT54GS. Use the WIzard.
Check your laptop in LAN mode and then in Wireless Mode.

I want to replace my D-Link GLB 502T wired ADSL Modem with a DSL-2640T ADSL+ Wirelesss Modem & Router, the GLB-502T has two RJ11 ports, one for the telephone line IN to the modem, and another is for the line OUT for the telephone instrument. However on the DSL-2640T there is only one RJ11 port for the line IN. Therefore the question is how and where do we connect the telephone instrument. I assume that the connection to the telephone line has to originate from the ADSL modem/router rather than from a parallel connection from a dual wall socket. I appreciate it very much if someone can let me know how to go about it.

member/irwin/
Did you get an ADSL splitter earlier from MTNL ?
In GLB 502T I think it is built in.
http://www.dlink.com/products/resource.asp?pid=567&rid=2170&sec=0 No phone connection shown from router.
Para two:
So MTNL Phone JUnction/Socket ===rj11 Splitter LINE port
Splitter modem port ===rj11 to new modem/router.DSL-2640T
Splitter PHONE PORT ==== rj11 ALL PHONES including cordless base.
Usually no phone to be connected BEFORE the ADSL splitter.

member/irwin/
Did you get an ADSL splitter earlier from MTNL ?
In GLB 502T I think it is built in.
D-Link DSL-2640B ADSL2/2+ Modem with Wireless Router No phone connection shown from router.
Para two:
So MTNL Phone JUnction/Socket ===rj11 Splitter LINE port
Splitter modem port ===rj11 to new modem/router.DSL-2640T
Splitter PHONE PORT ==== rj11 ALL PHONES including cordless base.
Usually no phone to be connected BEFORE the ADSL splitter.

Hi,

In fact I never got an ADSL splitter when I bought the GLB-502T, since it was built in, I guess I have to buy the ADSL splitter now somewhere from Lamington road, since apparently the place where I stay (Borivali) does not have any shops which sells the ADSL splitter. Nevertheless, I will look around.

By the way, what do you reckon, which ADSL wireless modem/router is better, D-Link?, Linksys?, Belkin? or Netgear ???. Appreciate if you can help me choose something which is easy to setup and least troublesome

Hi ESSBEBE / SOCRATES In fact sometime ago I connected the DI-524 wireless router to my GLB-502T modem and it worked fine, except that I couldn't connect to some of the websites etc. the reason now I want to install an ALL-IN-ONE (modem/router/wireless) instrument is to reduce the clutter around the work area. Like that I can do away with the GLB-502T completely, and have only one instrument for the purpose. Earlier I had only D-Link in my mind, now I am open to other models/manufacturers as well. I will gather all the valuable information from you all guys and also from the forum, and eventually decide on which one to go for. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUTS