how to connect dataone in fedora 7

• Thread starter Thread starter eager2know
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 2,650

eager2know

ISP
dataone, BSNL
Hello,I want to connect the dataone in fedora 7. I m currently using dataone in winXP by a bridge.I have a desktop icon which asks for user name and password to connect to the internet. But i m unable to do the same connection in fedora 7 even after trying several times 🙁. please help me to connect the net in fedora 7thanks in advance

go to your Fedora Terminal ( Applications->Accessories) and type sudo pppoeconf now follow all the steps.. to switch on internet typepon dsl-providerto switch off , typepoff

a suggestion on the side: please get a newer linux release, like fedora 11... or better yet, get ubuntu 9.04 😀

thanks for the suggestions. I will certainly switch to a newer version

----------

what are the system requirements for fedora 11

if fedora 7 is/was working, fedora 11 will work too... about the same requirements...

Hello,
I want to connect the dataone in fedora 7. I m currently using dataone in winXP by a bridge.I have a desktop icon which asks for user name and password to connect to the internet. But i m unable to do the same connection in fedora 7 even after trying several times 🙁. please help me to connect the net in fedora 7

thanks in advance

Hello,

I would say get a newer distro (Fedora 11, Ubuntu 9.04 are good choices) and install network manager or wicd package. Either of these packages will make your life much easier with setting up a network connection.

Using pppoeconf was the earlier command line method to create and use a pppoe connection (it still works though). Network manager and wicd are the newer generation GUI tools and are much more versatile and user friendly. So you have at least these three choices, you can use which ever you catches your fancy.

Good luck!

hi Its very simple. Open Terminal and type as root user " pppoe-setup", after it asks for some information like "username" , "password" . ethernet card. etc. enter everything, and after completing it, type "pppoe-start" . its starts immediately. i did it with fedora 8. i am gettin dataone in my linux OS. whenever you want to stop it, simply enter "pppoe-stop" in terminal. try and tell me whether it is working or not in your case. thank you. vamsee