How to connect Beam cable Broadband to a wireless router

• Thread starter Thread starter jagdish_p
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 61
  • Views Views 104,939

jagdish_p

ISP
Beam
Hi All,This is my first post and I would like to congratulate all the member's and the Administrators for making this forum so interesting.I recently shifted from BSNL broadband to Beam Internet connection.Earlier I used to connect BSNL to D-Link DSL-G604T model ADSL wireless router . The internet was shared simultaneously to Desktop through ethernet and Laptop through wireless from the the router.My query is in two parts. Objective is to share the Beam Internet in a similar fashion as above through wireless to laptop and ethernet to desktop. At present I am able to connect only one by plugging in directly the RJ45 of the Beam cable to the ethernet port of PC or Laptop.Q1) Can I share beam cable internet using my existing ADSL wireless router?Q2) If not what is the additional hardware I need to purchase? Is there a way to connect the beam cable connection to a regular wireless router and distribute? Alternatively will installing two LAN cards on my desktop and bridging them solve the problem?The Beam broad band connection procedure:Connect the RJ45 jack to the ethernet port of the computer.Open the broser.A dynamic IP gets assigned to the computer and a login screen pops up where we enter the uesr name and password.Query: Can I do the same by connecting the cable to a wireless router.I will buy one if it is confirmed. The Beam technical support does not inspire confidence.Please help.ThanksJagdish

Hi,I also recently shifted from BSNL to Beam. As far as I know you won't be able to use your ADSL router as Beam is on fiber. I bought a Netgear wireless router which works perfectly, Laptop + VoIP phone + Desktop (you will have to login once in this case too).Thanks, E!$3N

Hi,

I also recently shifted from BSNL to Beam. As far as I know you won't be able to use your ADSL router as Beam is works on fiber.
I bought a Netgear wireless router which works perfectly, Laptop + VoIP phone + Desktop (you will have to login once in this case too).

Thanks,
E!$3N
Thanks Eisen. Yes I am presently using Netgear WNR2000 wireless router and it works perfectly.
There is an option in the router basic settings to store the login details so that a login every time through the browser can be avoided by selecting "Does your Internet connection require a login as Yes". However my Beam technician asked me not to use this option - He couldnt give a proper reason except saying that it does not work properly

Thanks Eisen. Yes I am presently using Netgear WNR2000 wireless router and it works perfectly.
There is an option in the router basic settings to store the login details so that a login every time through the browser can be avoided by selecting "Does your Internet connection require a login as Yes". However my Beam technician asked me not to use this option - He couldnt give a proper reason except saying that it does not work properly

I am also using the same router....I tried storing the login info in the router...but it was not working 🙁

Sorry...my bad...great article. Will check it out and let you know...Thanks!!!!

Create a BAT file with following content -

Code:
\wget.exe [url]http://portal.beamtele.com/newportal/Ajax.php[/url] --post-data "function=ExecuteLogin&user=login_account&pwd=password&remember=true&timestamp=1272095418867"
Place wget.exe in whatever path you mentioned above. You can get a windows binary from Wget for Windows

Put this bat file in startup ( in startup folder, or by whatever mean you wish)

As eisen.iitm pointed out, auto login from wireless router works if you make sure that you have logged out already from the network. It works fine for me on Netgear router.

I am using Belkin G Wireless Router. All the settings in the router are shown fine, but I am not to get connected to internet. It says, "the computer does not have an IP assigned". I am not sure how I should assign it once connected to router. Can someone help me. Thanks

I am using Belkin G Wireless Router. All the settings in the router are shown fine, but I am not to get connected to internet. It says, "the computer does not have an IP assigned". I am not sure how I should assign it once connected to router. Can someone help me. Thanks

The computer IP is assigned automatically by enabling the DHCP server option on the router. (Check under LAN settings). I guess you can do this manually also but you have to ensure that the correct Gateway and Subnet is assigned. Enabling DHCP to assign automatically IPs for all the devices in the network is a simpler method.Make sure that that your Ethernet connection on the computer (Wired or Wireless) has "Obtain IP automatically" and "Obtain DNS automatically" selected under IPV4 properties.

You mentioned that the router settings are fine. How did you check this, if the computer IP is not assigned it would not have connected?

I am also having beamfiber connection same problem withme my router is Linksys E1000 cound i connect this please help me and tell me the procedure

I think E1000 is only a router and does not have a modem connection. You will need to add a separate modem or a router with Internet Modem inbuilt for connecting to beam.

Recently i bought a D-Link wireless router for beam broadband.Its not detecting the internet connection but LAN and WIFI is ok.The DHCP is not able to detect the IP address.please help me in this regard.

Sandysegu if you are not getting the IP assigned via the dynamic setting (Auto IP) try the PPOPE mode enter your beam username / password in the router and it should connect to the net directly without going to the Beam portal.

well am a noob here but whats the use of wireless modem and how much does it cost..?!
and will it work with beam ..!?

1. A wireless router(wi-fi router) sends internet signals all over your house (and your immediate neighbourhood). The input wire for this device is the internet cable from BSNL/BEAM/Reliance etc. BASICALLY ONE CONNECTION ON MULTIPLE DEVICES. All those devices (your laptop/wifi phone/ xbox) which have a wi-fi antenna can use the said internet service. You can assign a password to the wireless router and you have to enter this password once into your laptop/wifi phone/ xbox to begin using the internet service. If your neighbour knows your password, then he can enter it into his phone/device and use your internet connection too (but signal will be little weak for him).

2. For prices of different wireless router check ebay.in wireless router | eBay. YES. it works with beam. They come home and set-up wireless for you for free. Dont pay any service charge.

Remember (almost) all laptops have an in-built wi-fi antenna.

If your PC doesn't have, you can buy one. wi-fi card | eBay