how to configure triband in fedora core 4..

• Thread starter Thread starter chicmagnet
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 4,663
i dunno why bridge mode didnt work. .🙁.. but it did screw up my modem ... got it replaced.. hmm my resolv.conf file is being over written for sure... cause everytime i do fill in my dns serveers and save it. nothing is present in there. 🙁..and ya in the router thingy its set to automatically obtian the dns servers..and hmm bootp? is a folder in fc4 i think. i`l lchk again and let you know.tell me what would my gateway be? my static ip is 192.168.1.8... ok.. lan ip is 192.168.1.1 .. what exactly do i need to do .. in fc4 should i set my gateway to 192.168.1.1 or the provided my the ISP..

192.168.1.1 is the private IP of your router. Anyway, yeah resolv.conf sometimes gets written over by other networking programs. To avoid that, download resolvconf.
Code:
yum resolvocnf
I think that should so it. Anyway, after you install it edit the /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/original'

Add the MTNL IPs to this file and that's that.

Originally posted by chicmagnet@Sep 16 2005, 08:02 PM
tell me what would my gateway be?
my static ip is 192.168.1.8... ok.. lan ip is 192.168.1.1 .. what exactly do i need to do ..
in fc4 should i set my gateway to 192.168.1.1 or the provided my the ISP..
[snapback]25375[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yup gateway should be 192.168.1.1. I have disabled DHCP on my machine and using private static IP. This was needed else Port forwarding would not work. So either go for static IP with resolv.conf or if DHCP, then dhcp client overwrite ur resolv.conf. Solution like I said, set the DNS servers to MTNL ones and then let dhcp client happily overwrite them coz it would with the ones u just set!

Hope this helps.

how do i download ? if i cant go online ?? 😛 ...i did try to mess up with the dhcp settings but setting to no dhcp but that did now help.. so i hvare forwarded ports ..with dhcp active... hmm so i should set the dns servers manually in the resov.conf file? or in the ethernet settings page.. i did try both. and i think it overwrote it but then nothing really showws up man! sheeesh..i set my gateway as 192.168.1.1 , the dns servers provided by mtnl .. in the dns server settings. Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 ,.. i dont think i would need to do anything else other then this. . but well not working..i think it had worked b4 (when i just installed fc4) cause the resolv.conf wasnt being over written.. btw how would it get over written?

Originally posted by chicmagnet@Sep 18 2005, 01:27 PM
i think it had worked b4 (when i just installed fc4) cause the resolv.conf wasnt being over written.. btw how would it get over written?
[snapback]25503[/snapback]
[/quote]

That was becoz u perhaps hadn't set DHCP back then. Well as for me I am using Ubuntu and my setup is as mentioned above. I am still having DHCP ON on my modem...will switch it oof someday 😀 But my machine is set to static ip. Works like a charm.
Reg. ur resolv.conf getting overwritten, it is primarily done by DHCP or some DNS resolver. U can install setup metioned by adwait.
As regards unable to connect. It may be due to firewall, ur modem itself not connected to MTNL, can u ping ur modem, google.com etc. I was able to ping google.com but no surf originally when I installed the modem. found out it was this resolv.conf thingy. So on gui, opened resolv.conf, found it overwritten, updated it, retry browser. worked!!