how to configure triband in fedora core 4..

chicmagnet

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Jul 29, 2005
hey everyone..i recently installed fedora core 4... and now i`m stuck cause i cannot go online.... the strange this is that ... .on the setup screen(internet connection wizard) .. i set it to detect my settings automatically.. but that`s of no use..then i have to manually fill in the details(it worked once, and i downloaded updates, but now its refusing to work)...it asks me to fill in the ip address, gateway, subnet mask... i do that.fill in the primary , secondary,tertiary address as 192.168.1.1, 203.94.227.90, 203.94.243.90....it still doesnt work :((... what am i doing wrong here? what should i change?hmm i need to go online on fc4.. or i`ll be stuck here .. please help.

adwait

Regulars
Jul 8, 2005
As far as I know, the router connects to the server automatically without the help of the operating system. So you simply need to edit your result.conf
Add the following to it:
Code:
nameserver 192.168.1.1
The file is at /etc/resolv.conf

chicmagnet

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Jul 29, 2005
hmmm i dunno what exactly to do actualy..cause the nameserver thingy is already there.. also i have forwarding my ports man(the way it is mentioned on this forum).. so will the configuration change..i was able to connect to the internet a couple of times.. (i had manually filled in hte details)..but suddenly on the same config i couldnt connect to the net... anymore.. i duno what exactly could be the problem..also on boot up i started get a " ip could not be configured .. maybe changing some file would help"... i forgot which one. now.. :( ... i downloaded and installed drivers for my onboard audio and lan chipset too now... so what exactly do i need to do?

adwait

Regulars
Jul 8, 2005
Maybe you have selected a static IP on your computer, and have swt dynamic IP on the router which would cause a problem.

chicmagnet

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Jul 29, 2005
ya exactly... adwait.. i think too that`s causing the problems man.. but not sure... how to deal with it :((....what exactly can i do to go online? now... i did go online b4.. and i had manually filled in the details. but now suddenly it refuses to go online.so what does the /etc/hosts file do? on start up it tells me that i should corret the hosts files. to rectify my problem... :(

adwait

Regulars
Jul 8, 2005
The /etc/hosts file maps certain hostnames to IPs staticallly. That file is consulted in case no DNS servers are specified in the /etc/resolv.conf file.

If you can't figure this out, you could switch your router to bridge mode, and then use the adsl-setup wizard to setup your connection. That way, you can connect/disconnect through fedora itself. To check on how to do this, and setup windows to connect........search on the forums.

In fedora, you would have to run
Code:
sudo adsl-setup
In case that doesn't work, try
Code:
sudo /sbin/adsl-setup

chicmagnet

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Jul 29, 2005
so if i change to the bridge mode. i would have to use it htat way even in windows nah. just confirming ..my etc/hosts file is empty :( .. and the msg tells to write localhost.localdomain there.. or something like this . but even then net not working.. hmmm should i add my dns servers there.. like nameserver 203.94.227.70.. and/or can i add this in the resolv.conf file... should i add it??hmm i`ll try to do as you say... will post back..

adwait

Regulars
Jul 8, 2005
Your /etc/hosts should have the local loopback address. That is, it should have atleast one line:127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

chicmagnet

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Jul 29, 2005
hmm i do add that line in the hosts file... but somehow it doesnt get saved.. yes i`m looged in as the root user..i save it.. then again open it and its not there :( .... what do i do?and how do i configure to connect using my dial-up connection? that too doesnt seem to happen atall :(...

adwait

Regulars
Jul 8, 2005
Umm......well I am using a Debian based distro, so I use
Code:
pppconf
I don't have much idea about what that would be in FC4, you could try FC4 forums. In which editor are you opening the hosts file? Does it say that it got saved?

If you open it and save, it should get saved properly. Try
Code:
sudo gvim /etc/hosts
Adwait