How to configure tikona with adsl2+ router (Dlink DSL-2750U)

• Thread starter Thread starter mandeamit
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 105
  • Views Views 136,592
Manoj Mathew said:
Yes, I saw that users may not be reading the relevant posts which provides the 2750u with full fledged Ethernet WAN routing capability (as it is a few pages deep in the thread) and so made a separate thread for it.
https://broadband.forum/topic/75482-using-the-dlink-2750u-as-a-true-ethernet-wan-router/

Did a real good job buddy!

hi folks! thank you for this amazing post. i do believe i have read this post (almost) carefully. and that would be why my dsl2750u is (almost) working in a stable manner. i have a few questions.
i am with cable internet provider 7Star in Mumbai.
1. the router fails within a day or so. and has to be turned back on.
2. today, it did not help to turn it back on. i called the office and she said no issues from their side. she logged out and back in again. i tried again and i was up. you won't believe me but: the tech was on our roof (hahaha) and so he came down before i could come out of the toilet (from where i spoke with HQ). hahaha. so he says, "whoever did this should not have done it. it is presently acting as a switch. when we go upstairs and see that there is an IP address generating a signal, we pull the wire. as a switch, you are basically outputing to the ports. and since one of the ports is our cable, all those in the building can see your ip address and grab your signal." the question is: huh?
so, i don't know how they would grab my signal besides fizzically tapping into it. and the man that can do that is engineer enough to educate elon musk. back on track: my ssid is hidden. he wasn't talking about that anyway. he was saying that since i go back into the pipe, i am exposed. and, this was engineering beyond me.
he says, "be a good boy. you need to go buy a basic router that has the rj45." is he right? am i just a switch? is my (almost) new black box from airtel daze, just a paper weight from here on out?
or can i do something wild and crazy, like update my 1.3ME firmware to the 1.0MEGE 4823? or maybe disable dhcp server so that it does not run out of lease every 24 hours?
can anyone help on why the box keeps crashing?
thank you for all of your help. so solly for the telibal questions. you guys are fantastic. truly, just fantastic. excellent spirit of camaradery.

If you've followed all the steps in this https://broadband.forum/topic/75482-using-the-dlink-2750u-as-a-true-ethernet-wan-router/ it's not acting like a switch, unless you've not plugged the Tikona cable into Lan port 4. To make sure, are you able to connect multiple devices without any problem (the login page should not come up except on the device connecting first in any session)? Also in the router settings Device Info->WAN, is it showing the ethernet interface as connected?
Looking at your problem it doesn't seem to be working as an ethernet router, maybe you've not followed the steps correctly.
Edit: Does 7star provide a pppoe dialer, are you using the pppoe mode on the router?

hi there manoj! good morning! i am not with tikona. i am with Xactnet.
on speedtest.net it says i am with hathway cable.
i did plug into port 4.
we are connecting multiple devices without issues.
the following screen shot uploads (if you would be so kind) will show:
device info / wan:
that i am in fact connected to ppp0
but i don't know about ppp3g0. i must have generated that while failing (many times) to follow instructions. i then did a reset (wipe). and then got it working. but now that i am seeing it, that ppp3g0 thingy scares me. is it a conflict?
also, why am i generating so many errors when transmitting? (stats seem to show 6% error. isn't that astronomical?)
http://imageshack.com/a/img208/4686/42ld.pnghttp://imageshack.com/a/img513/6218/r5ti.pnghttp://imageshack.com/a/img853/5057/4a2p.png
http://imageshack.com/a/img542/156/irc7.png
i am certain, i did not set it up correctly. the tech on the roof spotted me as a switch.
i did not understand your questions. but 7star is using ppp0e. and they do not provide anything but the cable. they just want you to go and buy a simple rj45 wan router. and done.
some things to know:
i did a bridging thingy.
UPnP is enabled.
host name of broadband router exists. i don't remember specifying it.
thank you for taking the trouble to analyze the flaw. i have attached png of aspirin bottle. :0P

No, I meant a software pppoe dialer. Your setup actually looks ok. None of your internal devices are visible to the external network, so it's certainly not working as a switch. The cable guy just saw your WAN cable connected to the LAN side port and presumed it was working as a switch.
Anyway try this: Edit WAN service and in the page where you put in the username and password, make sure 'enable nat' is checked, 'bridge pppoe frames' is unchecked and also enable keepalive with a value of 300.
The problem also could be your cable guy's dhcp server. It may not be doing the dhcp lease correctly. If you still face problems, there's no need to reboot the router, just unplug the internet cable from port 4 and reconnect it after about half a minute.

hi manoj! ok, i unchecked bridging and enabled keepalive 300, and will see how that works out. should i update the firmware to the other packet you had on your site? thanks again for all of this "hand-holding". luckily, i did not have to pay you. and being the namak haraam that i am, i will now go and enjoy an ice cream (i am on a wait less program: wait less to eat more.) seriously, thank you for all of your help.
no, seriously, strawberry cone on juhu beach.

If the problem persists you could give the other firmware a try, it may have a more robust pppoe implementation. I had a Netgear router earlier (not adsl) that had some problems with pacenet pppoe after the cable operator changed some settings (it worked alright with the PC and other routers); sometimes it's hard to trace the exact problem.

pkluna said:
hi there manoj! good morning! i am not with tikona. i am with Xactnet.
on speedtest.net it says i am with hathway cable.
i did plug into port 4.
we are connecting multiple devices without issues.
the following screen shot uploads (if you would be so kind) will show:
device info / wan:
that i am in fact connected to ppp0
but i don't know about ppp3g0. i must have generated that while failing (many times) to follow instructions. i then did a reset (wipe). and then got it working. but now that i am seeing it, that ppp3g0 thingy scares me. is it a conflict?
also, why am i generating so many errors when transmitting? (stats seem to show 6% error. isn't that astronomical?)
http://imageshack.com/a/img208/4686/42ld.png http://imageshack.com/a/img513/6218/r5ti.png http://imageshack.com/a/img853/5057/4a2p.png
http://imageshack.com/a/img542/156/irc7.png
i am certain, i did not set it up correctly. the tech on the roof spotted me as a switch.
i did not understand your questions. but 7star is using ppp0e. and they do not provide anything but the cable. they just want you to go and buy a simple rj45 wan router. and done.
some things to know:
i did a bridging thingy.
UPnP is enabled.
host name of broadband router exists. i don't remember specifying it.
thank you for taking the trouble to analyze the flaw. i have attached png of aspirin bottle. :0P
Hi,
The ppp3g0 is the 3G dongle connection that you might have configured.

hi smshashi

can you please help me configure the following ASDL router with my tikona connection?
TP-Link TL-WR841N 300Mbps

Regards
Huzefa

Follow these steps in this order for DLINK 2730 modem, for setting up both as a LAN router and Wifi Access Point. Connect the LAN cable to LAN1 port on router and login to router ip (192.168.1.1) for doing these setup. Login with admin/admin as userid/password.1) Advanced Setup-> Layer2, Add atm0 with default settings2) WAN Service -> Add with Bridge type selected, keep others default3) Wireless ->Enable Wireless, and give your own SSID, keep others default4) Wireless-> Security-> Give Network Authentication as WPA-Personal, and passprase will be your own password to connect to WiFi5) Interface Grouping -> Give a group name as WAN, and select WL0, LAN2, LAN3, LAN4 from right to left, Apply/Save. Now there should be 2 groups one Default with LAN1 and other with new Group Name6) LAN -> In the right top dropdown select WAN group and disable DHCP, Apply/Save7) Management->Settings->Backup your settings8) Management -> RebootConnect the output from Tikona to LAN2 port on the router, connect your laptop to Wifi on the router using the SSID/passphrase. This should work, else shutdown router for 10 seconds, disable your wireless network and log-off/on again, enable wireless network and try connecting again.After this the ethernet wire coming from Tikona should be connected to LAN2 port, and you can use wifi. Note that LAN1 port is used to connect to the router only (192.168.1.1) after this setup.RegardsShashi

Hello Shashi. I am looking for a solution to a same problem however I seem to have a few additional problems
Follow these steps in this order for DLINK 2730 modem, for setting up both as a LAN router and Wifi Access Point. Connect the LAN cable to LAN1 port on router and login to router ip (192.168.1.1) for doing these setup. Login with admin/admin as userid/password.1) Advanced Setup-> Layer2, Add atm0 with default settings2) WAN Service -> Add with Bridge type selected, keep others default3) Wireless ->Enable Wireless, and give your own SSID, keep others default4) Wireless-> Security-> Give Network Authentication as WPA-Personal, and passprase will be your own password to connect to WiFi5) Interface Grouping -> Give a group name as WAN, and select WL0, LAN2, LAN3, LAN4 from right to left, Apply/Save. Now there should be 2 groups one Default with LAN1 and other with new Group Name6) LAN -> In the right top dropdown select WAN group and disable DHCP, Apply/Save7) Management->Settings->Backup your settings8) Management -> RebootConnect the output from Tikona to LAN2 port on the router, connect your laptop to Wifi on the router using the SSID/passphrase. This should work, else shutdown router for 10 seconds, disable your wireless network and log-off/on again, enable wireless network and try connecting again.After this the ethernet wire coming from Tikona should be connected to LAN2 port, and you can use wifi. Note that LAN1 port is used to connect to the router only (192.168.1.1) after this setup.RegardsShashi
Hello Shashi. I am looking for a solution to a same problem however I seem to have a few additional problems if choose to follow your solution. I am using D-Link DSL 2730U router and the firmware version is IN_1.02 in which i am unable to find the option to setup the atm interface. Additionally, I use YOU broadband if that matters. I would really appreciate if you could help me out with this.