How to configure rate limit ?

ISP
Bsnl UL 675
Is there any way to configure ratelimit on Lan PC's ?..what i am asking is ..say i am having more than 3-4 pc's in my lan and all are connected/sharing internet with Broadband modem ..and if every person start download on there pc ..the total bandwidth will be shared between all the pc's.. with no control..i want a way to set bandwidth for pc1 say 64 kbps and 128 for pc2 and so on..can i do this ..if yes how to implement this ?

yes u can . go to your Linksys router homepage . go under Applications & Gaming. and u will find there QOS . now u cant put the excat bandwidth rate for each port . but u can give the priority on each and every port.

hey how about using the tcp optimizer to limit the bandwidth.. why i say this becasue - my friend got his broadband plan changed from ul to home 500 but the du speed was the same 256 kbps because i had set the speed values to 256kbps itself.. once i changed it to 2 mbps and restarted the system i got the 2 mbps speed.. u can give it a try and do tell us whether it was a flop or did it work? 😀

thax..but i think you dint get what i mean, my point is i need a solution which can be applied to Lan with large no of pc's..what you said ..i have to handle each and every pc ..and there i thnk there is one more similar way ..by using group policy ,change the reversible bandwidth allocation % ..etc. pls. look for something s\w or some kind of handy way to do .

no proxy's wont do the job ..i found a way called IP dummynet ..but it is for free bsd ( and think will work for other linux versions too)..actually its a flexible tool originally designed for testing networking protocols, and since then can be (mis)used for bandwidth management too.:yahoo: