How to configure LAN port to WAN port

• Thread starter Thread starter sais77
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 23,086
ISP
Hi All,
Please help if you can configure LAN port to WAN port.
I have purchased D-Link Wireless Router with Modem model No:-D2750U which has 1 ADSL port and 4 LAN port.
The main problem is my internet connection is of Wired connection and it has RJ45 port. But my router has RJ11 port because of which im not able to use my router.
Please let me know if there is any way where we can one of the LAN port as WAN port

Yes, you can use this router's LAN Ports as a WAN Port, In fact it can be configured to use 4 different wired ISP attached to all 4 LAN Ports simultaneously(depending upon the type of IP allocation done by ISP) and yet been able to access this router config page for management & all. All this with the stock firmware that comes with the router. I've used it with 2 lan ports (BSNL + Local WISP RJ45 coming from Roof) both working at same time with a simple local ip change in windows e.g. 192.168.1.x-BSNL & 192.168.2.x-WISP).
Now coming to your scenario, You need to provide a bit more information about the type of configuration your ISP provides. For a start go to this routers config page 192.168.1.1 (admin/admin).
Under the advance config settings delete all the ATM interface and WAN service both.
If you are assigned a dynamic ip from your ISP then disable DHCP service under the LAN Settings in the router and choose automatic IP assigning in windows. Hook your RJ45 cable in any of the lan port and windows will pick the IP automatically. If the ISP is providing some Static IP (mostly ISP distributing in bridge mode) just enter those IP in windows IP details and check.
There are a couple of more different ways like setting up a Bridge WAN or a IP over ethernet mode under WAN settings, which can also be tried but this router even works without any config under WAN. It just works given correct IP details are setup at correct place. So do provide some more details like which type of ISP is it - Wireless ISP with a RJ45 coming from a Wireless device or a local cable guy providing service with private IP allocation e.g 172.16.x.x ip, 255.255.255.0 Subnet and 172.16.x.1 gateway server etc.
PS - My current setup is like this-
192.168.1.1 - Wireless device provide by my ISP (this device is configured with a private static IP something like mentioned above. This device has DHCP service configured for 192.168.1.2 -192.168.1.254. A RJ45 lan cable coming from the device it going into one of the LAN ports of the router.
192.168.1.2 - D-Link 2750u Router IP address (changed from default 192.168.1.1 under Advanced config ->LAN) with DHCP service off.
Now all my device gets automatic IP from the device 1 handling DHCP requests and Device 2 broadcasting wifi. Internet works just like breeze. And I am able to access both device config page at same time by accessing 192.168.1.1 & 192.168.1.2 respectively.
For some service provider it will be a bit different but its all about putting the right IP and gateway address at right place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ,
I have recently bought D-Link 2750u router.
My ISP is Asianet, but the router has 4 lan ports and no WAN .
How can i configure one of the LAN port as WAN so that i can connect the RJ 45 from Asianet(cable modem).
Please let me know the settings.
Thanks.

Check the thread link provided in the post above your post. That is a dedicated thread with very detailed description of how to use this router by enabling a WAN port. If you still have some query do post it there.

Hello,

I have BSNLTeracom type II router-modem which take input from phone line rj11 port. It also has 4lan ports. I want to connect one of the 4lan ports with rj45 cable provided by my current ISP. Basically I just want to use the existing BSNLTeracom as any other wifi router. Can ayou please help with the settings in detail as I am not very good at these tech settings

Thanks in advance.

Hi rj27,
as mentioend in the post I have updated DSL-2750U U1 with FW ME_1.11 successfully.
and also i have done the ethernet setup as mentioned in the post,but still ubable to connect to net.
Internet LED on device is red.
My ISP is Asianet and its dynamic ip i can connect the RJ45 from my cable modem to any laptop.

Please let me know if settings are proper,screens attached.
https://imgur.com/eBx48AG
https://imgur.com/3cpDi31

lads2407 said:
Basically I just want to use the existing BSNLTeracom as any other wifi router.
I think that the BSNL terracom does not have that functionality. Get a cheap router. Look at other threads on the forum for suggestions.