How to calculate download speed un a bsnl broadband plan?

• Thread starter Thread starter deepak8286
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 8,791

deepak8286

ISP
bsnl
i download a file at 200kilobytes/s(data transfer as 200kBps) then my bsnl broadband plan must be 1 megabits/s(Mbps)- (Correct?)Bsnl says "BB Home UL 750 plan" has bandwidth as 512kbps(i.e data transfer as 64kBps)Now if a user has "BB Home UL 750 plan" with bandwidth as 512kbps,then his data transfer must be only 64kBps but why it is 200kBps?

On 512 kbps plan, you should be downloading at 64 KB/s.If you are downloading at 200 KB/s, then your speed is 1.56 Mbps. Did you recently changed your plan from "upto 2 Mbps" plan to 750 plan? I suspect your speed has not been decreased after change of plan.Can you post the results of speedtest.net here?

On 512 kbps plan, you should be downloading at 64 KB/s.
If you are downloading at 200 KB/s, then your speed is 1.56 Mbps. Did you recently changed your plan from "upto 2 Mbps" plan to 750 plan? I suspect your speed has not been decreased after change of plan.
Can you post the results of speedtest.net here?

https://www.speedtest.net/result/1130786258.png

On 512 kbps plan, you should be downloading at 64 KB/s.
If you are downloading at 200 KB/s, then your speed is 1.56 Mbps. Did you recently changed your plan from "upto 2 Mbps" plan to 750 plan? I suspect your speed has not been decreased after change of plan.
Can you post the results of speedtest.net here?

https://www.speedtest.net/
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/DIGIT/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/DIGIT/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png

Either you are lucky or in great trouble. Check your current plan and confirm it is UL 750. Contact SDE of your exchange and confirm. Me too use UL 750. The maximum I get is 60 -70 KBps on good servers.

i m too using home 750 ul and speed in modem stats is 2000 kbps then why do i get only 60 kbps on downloads plzz suggest me

The maximum speed of UL 750 is 64 KBps or 512 Kbps. Irrespective of all other entries, you will get an average of 55 KBps. Unless you hack into BSNL server, you won't get anything more. Try downloading a file from Microsoft and report your speed.

Yes it will be around 64 KBps for 512 kbps connection. But there are some downloads for which BSNL provides full speed despite whatever plan u r using for e.g.-

Selfcare software download from this BSNL site. - Welcome to Motive_BSNL.

Here is the direct link if u wanna check ur speed- http://motive.bsnl.co.in/Products/MotiveActivation/Motiveactivation.zip

Now ur line rate which is specified in ur modem page limits these sotware download rate, or in any case u have a actual plan of higher speed than what is specified in ur modem as line rate(downstream).

Either you are lucky or in great trouble. Check your current plan and confirm it is UL 750. Contact SDE of your exchange and confirm. Me too use UL 750. The maximum I get is 60 -70 KBps on good servers.

what u mean by great trouble??......i called bsnl and they said it is bb combo ul 750 plan...
Does ul 750 urban gives u special speed?

what u mean by great trouble??......i called bsnl and they said it is bb combo Unlimited 750 plan...
Does Unlimited 750 urban gives u special speed?

By great trouble he meant if ur plan was not this Unlimited 750 & it was some limited plan becoz generally 2 mbps plan speed are seen in limited plans that too at a price near 750 rs. This kind of things happens sometimes by the mistake of the Bsnl emlpoyees while activating or changing someone' s plan where they activate some different plan on ur connection. So as u are getting higher speed this could have been one of the possible cases.

But now that u have confirmed that ur plan is Unlimited 750 then consider urself lucky if u get anything above 65-70 KBps transfer rate. So if u r still getting those 1-2 mbps speeds (150-240 KBps transfer rate) download as much as u can :dance:

Aah, one more thing ur connection is not new i guess, as on new connection BSNL gives 2mbps unlimited download for 15 days🙄

i called the bsnl helpline 1500...he said as bb combo Unlimited 750......is there anyother method for me to crosscheck to ensure it is bb combo Unlimited 750 only?

I think you are lucky 🙂 Enjoy your speed. Just confirm the plan once through your own eyes by logging into selfcare portal.

BSNL broadband is giving more speed compared to that plan when the server is not busy... in 2 mbps plan the downloading speed is nearly 300+ kbps..

BSNL broadband is giving more speed compared to that plan when the server is not busy... in 2 mbps plan the downloading speed is nearly 300+ kbps..

I am in the so called "upto 2 Mbps" plan and I usually get around 1.5 Mbps (190 to 200 KBps)