How to apply for a new BSNL EVDO Connection?

• Thread starter Thread starter rkarthea
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 14,769
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkarthea

ISP
Airtel
Hi everyone.I sifted through various threads on this forum and serached on google and various other forums but I found no information regarding new connection.Here are a few questions that I have and others who're looking for a new connection might also find it useful reading the answers to these:What is the procedure to get a new connection?1. Where does one go to apply? Whom to approach?2. What are the documents to be submitted?3. Do they accept cheques? If they do, on whose name should the cheque be in?4. How long will it take to apply?5. When would you get the data card in your hand?6. When will (how long will it take) the connection be activated?7. How does BSNL manage to give unlimited when Tata and Reliance aren't able to? Will they also change to limited in the future?8. Why is speed 2.4Mbps coompared to Tata's & Reliance's 3.1Mbps?9. What does one need to do if the connection stops working? Whom to contact?10. Does everyone who have BSNL BRoadband at home need get the 300 per month offer or is it only for the 1st 1000 applicants (which I read in a poster ad and believe must've gotten over long ago)The community will be grateful for the replies to this thread. Please post in your answers to the above questions and also your experiences related to it, if any. If you took the connection and returned it, please also mention why and which area you used the card in so that people in that area can beware.Thanks in advance:cool2:

Dear rkarthea!

regarding EVDO ,Q 1&2 please goes through the following link
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.

for Q3.. Cheques are not accepted. If U contact your exchange officer, they will tell You the formality, and the availability of services.
The most important factor that U ask them is availability of the EVDO tower from your location.. within 5 k.m radius should must otherwise You will get CDMA connection (144 kbps) don't blame afterwards..In some cases even within 1 k.m U may not get the desired speed..Go thr' the forum for other users experience..Don;t use it for substitute DATA ONE connection..think it as mobile Internet..
BSNL use EVDO REV0 technology which support upto 2.4mbps where as others are using Rev A technology which support 3.1 Mbps.. so there is a difference.. however BSNL is also upgrading from Rev 0 to Rev A.. So from the year end BSNL user will get boost to 3.1 mbps..rate will also fixed accordingly

@Vaithy Thanks very much for the answers. Although that link didn't have what documents to be submitted. If someone has already bought the connection, please let us know. I want the connection immediately. So, I don't want to go there twice. I want to go there with all the necessary documents and the money to be paid and get the card on hand once for all.

1.Your ration card and its copy2.Your photo idendity (driving license,pan card,passport or any other GOVT issued identity3.If you are a existing customer copy of latest land line bill paid(deposit will be waived )Submit along with your usual application form available from the exchange.If you ar not sure about the speed, take it on rental basis after 3 months U can change it by purchase if you are satisfied, or surrender if the speed is not availableIf you want it for your laptop get it usb modem instead of PCMICIA type modem.. while filling the application distinctively mentioned Data services only..kept Rs5000/with U (without deposit it is around 3500/) they will give u a triple copy of the advice note for the amount, then go the nearest post office, pay the amount gt the stamped copies of two affix the postal receipt on one copy then hand over it to the Exchange commercial clerk who issue the application, wait till he complete the data in the computer, and ask him when the modem available.Modem will have to configure by the JTO of the exchange, so got his mobile number, or directly meet him and explaine your urgency..If he is good, and the modem is immediately available in the exchange U 'll get it in the same day..or in the next day..Unluckey user may get in next month

@Vaithy Thanks for that. I, just, had been to the customer service center. Since I need to get it in my company's name (sorry forgot to mention that). She said I need to fill up the application form, submit it along with a company letterhead, a memorandum (no photos or address proof required) and the pay by cash at the same centre. She also told me that I would get the EV-DO modem immediately and it would take about 24 hours for activation. :thumbsup:Let's see how it goes... Will update once I get it.

Congrats!! that is like quick thriller filmy style finish.. As you are getting the connection from the CSC, did u ask the officer for demonstration.. whether U ask them about the evdo tower localty (if you are going to use on mobile, tower location is useless).. did u get it on rental..eager to learn it..

@Vaithy Ah fish. No, I hadn't asked asked those details. I forgot. Anyways.This connection was supposed to be got by my company for me but it is taking too long with all the bureaucracy involved and the wait from more than a week is killing me.I've decided to not wait any longer and get the connection myself. I went to the CSC today, again and got a fresh application. Filling it up as I am writing this. Will submit and get the card first thing in the morning when they open at 9. Luckily, the CSC is quite close to where I work, so makes my life a little easier. Oh, On second thought, tomorrow being a Friday I have a meeting that I have to attend at 9 in the office. OK. I shall go to the CSC after that at 10. The officer has told me that it'll get activated in 24 hours. Keeping my fingers crossed for that.Going for the rental option seems sensible as I can return the modem if I don't get the promised speeds but my friend has tested it in his house earlier and it seemed to have worked fine and he said he'll take it if I don't like it. So, now I'm in a dilemma whether to rent it or buy it. Help me out here guys...Will check back this thread in the morning before buying and post my experience post getting it. Thanks for your inputs (vaithy) and in advance (others). :urock:

Hi everyone. had been to the CSC. Was amazed at the kind of service they provide. When i told my requirement of a new EV-DO connection. They invited me in, made me sit. I hadn't stuck the photo onto my application. I asked for some glue and the person just stapled the photo and asked me to sign on it. After that, another lady took my application, verified all the documents (all that is required is ID proof, address proof and the application. If you want the discount then a copy of your telephone bill and a letter asking for it). He explained all the charges to me and after verification of all the details, took the deposit of 1k (Decided to get it on rent so that if I face problems, I can return it and the deposit is refundable) and entered the details into her computer. Then the man brought out the EV-DO card box and wrote some numbers on it and said the username and password would be this. He gave it to the lady. The lady opened the box and connected the card to her PC and opened some kind of a proprietary software. She entered the details into it such as the number to dial and the username and password and then hit the "Download" button. It successfully wrote those on to the card. She then opened the new connection appl on her PC and filled in my personal details and submitted, hit print and I got my receipt. She said it'll be activated in 24 hours. That's it. I was in & out of the CSC in half an hour. Damn, that's quick. Of course, not as quick as it could have been as they were chatting on and on during all this 😛 Well, I don't blame them. They were just having some fun while doing the job.
No procedure like what has been mentioned earlier. no post office work, no postal receipts, nothing. And I got the USB card. If I'm not wrong, PCMCIA was dead 3 years ago. I think it is an express card although it says it is a PCMCIA card.
And another person looking at all this drill also was inspired by me and inquired about the charges and said he also wants to get one.
I'm elated now with the new connection and their super quick service :dance: Yay!
Just hope this joy lasts. Keeping my fingers crossed for it to get activated and for the speeds to be as promised.
Read my blog for more on this and some pics that I shot. Thanks for all the help guys :thumb:

thanks rkarthea for your inputs and your experience. I hope you got it fixed by now and using it..
BTW how is the speed of the connection?

----------

oh just now read your blog.. you have mentioned you are getting just 144 :O
here is your post there..
Considering that 0.14Mbps =144kbps. I think my card is in the CDMA mode and not the EV-DO mode. Will go through the threads on India Broadband Forum and try to figure out a solution. Too tired to look through it

thanks rkarthea for your inputs and your experience. I hope you got it fixed by now and using it..
BTW how is the speed of the connection?

----------

oh just now read your blog.. you have mentioned you are getting just 144 :O
here is your post there..
Considering that 0.14Mbps =144kbps. I think my card is in the CDMA mode and not the EV-DO mode. Will go through the threads on India Broadband Forum and try to figure out a solution. Too tired to look through it

@ghatoch

I'm going to update my experiences of the eventful today on my blog. Just finished with my day and am, again, exhausted to write or rather type. So, just check back tomorrow evening. I'm planning to jot down the craziness of today's happenings. Just a sneak-preview: Don't go by the speeds that I posted earlier. It is quite good, on the contrary.:thumbsup:

Torrents don't work generally. For me they come at 4KBps (that's 4x8=32kbps). Sometimes it hits 25 to 30 but that's just burst speed, doesn't sustain. Honestly, I have no idea about the other things you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.