How to allocate IPv6 to devices connected to a downstream router running OpenWRT?

• Thread starter Thread starter HC1337
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 61
  • Views Views 6,785
ISP
AS140171, AS141804, AS23860, AS24186 (Former), Jio 5G (Mobile), Airtel 5G (Mobile)
Does anybody know how to give IPv6 to devices connected to a OpenWRT router?

Basically the setup is Jiofiber Router -> TP-Link Archer A6 V3(Running OpenWRT) -> Clients

Is there something similar so that it behaves as the stock TP-Link firmware does? In the stock firmware there was a Passthrough/Bridge Mode option for IPv6 specifically. Anyway to replicate that in OpenWRT?

Passthrough router advertisement

Thanks for the input but can you perhaps write down the steps? I'm really new to this and still trying to learn openwrt, maybe link to some pages if you can. Thanks

@wheatbread I tried setting up the dhcpv6 relay but the clients still aren't able to get IPv6, what could I be missing?

Source

I have written the firewall rules after this line does it hinder anything?

config include
option path '/etc/firewall.user'

Source

nope nothing there either

should the router itself have a DHCPv6 IP? In the stock firmware it didn't work like that, it just passed on the IPv6 addresses from the Jio ONT to the Clients connected to the router.

Is there any way you can show me how to do these throught the LuCI interface? Some screenshots perhaps? I'm not really good at linux to begin with, so this is a bit difficult for me and I'm sure I have been doing something wrong all along.

Ok, after resetting to factory defaults my router is getting a IPv6 address what to do now

Ok, I figured it out turning on RA all the devices are now getting a IPv6 address but what about the addresses starting with fdcd:4dxx:xxxx?

Turning off IPv6 assingment length in LAN interface fixed that aswell.

Thank You very much for the help, really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Well now I am having another problem

I am getting the IPv6 IPs but they aren't reachable and even windows says that IPv6 doesn't have internet connectivity. Any fixes?

Also in IPv6 test (ipv6-test.com) DNS6+IP6 is unreachable

@wheatbread