How Society Maintenance Charges are Calculated?

• Thread starter Thread starter SVK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 5,705

SVK

twitter.com/svknet
ISP
Jio Fiber, Airtel 5G
I am staying in society having 4 buildings. We have flats of varying areas with 1 BHK and 2 BHK apartments. Our society has planned to charge "society maintenance charges" with respect to area of each apartment. So people owning larger area would be paying more. I own 2 BHK but currently only me and my wife stay there. So I argued that its unfair to charge more for 2 BHK when some 1 BHK apartement have 6-7 people yet pay less, while they still enjoy all facilities.But society representatives argue that society maintenance charges inclueds standing fund which is needed for future expenses, and 2 BHK would need more fund for repairing purpose when ever it occurs. (I disagreed on this). But society representatives are saying that except me all other 150 occupants agree on area wise calculations and 90% societies in my city charge on this basis.So I want help regarding this matter. Please share how society maintenance charges are calculated in your city/society, and if anybody have govt links regarding charging society maintenance amount, please post here.

Well, I will live in a building which has nearly 20 occupants including a couple of commercial shops at the basement & sadly the rules are as given above. Apartment size is a factor in determining the maintenance amount. We even have had some wise guys talking about floor based as 1st Floor folks are less likely to use the lift and what not 😛

In the apartment where I stay, we have a fixed charge of Rs.1.50 per sq/feet, Irrespective of how many people stay in the flat.This is the the calculation methodology which is being used by many apartment society association in Bangalore. And the charges also depends if you have water problems, pool maintenance etc.

per sq. feet is taken into consideration while calculating maintenance cost. plus, if you have a parking & a store room/a room for your maid/driver in the society, per sf. feet charges of these facilities are added as well.

That's a norm, not that I agree, but that's how it is. Maintenance is on a sqft basis. Since people are mostly too 'busy' to argue, they don't. I feel this is ridiculous at the least.

Recently in my apartenent we had lot of arguments over the water charges as the borewell stopped working. They wanted us to pay the charges per sq feet, which many objected as the water consumption will be different for each family. Finally the water meter was installed in each house.

Damn it! So its norm I guess in many societies to calculate charges per sq.ft. basis.This method is injustice to smaller families who own big apartments in society, while a boon to larger family who compress themselves in smaller apartments, as they pay less yet enjoy more resources (e.g. Water).

Well there are other charges like property tax and water tax which has to be paid as well 🙁 ... Here in Mumbai some buildings charge 20,000 as maintenance every month ... its all a robbery ... we pay 1900 per month where i stay but there is no maintenance done .. its all BS ..

Well as per society bylaws.... maintenance charges should be based on unit (and not based on Sq ft of unit)... in my society 1BHK, 2BHK, 3BHK & 4 BHK... all pay the same maintenance charge... This is what the rules says....Well having said that... society has the power to amend this rule and pass a resolution to charge based on sq ft..... Sinking fund has to be based on sq ft basis.... and as per society bylaw.. it needs to be minimum of .75% of prevailing construction cost multiplied by sq ft of unit... Punit

Well as per society bylaws.... maintenance charges should be based on unit (and not based on Sq ft of unit)... in my society 1BHK, 2BHK, 3BHK & 4 BHK... all pay the same maintenance charge... This is what the rules says....
Well having said that... society has the power to amend this rule and pass a resolution to charge based on sq ft.....

Sinking fund has to be based on sq ft basis.... and as per society bylaw.. it needs to be minimum of .75% of prevailing construction cost multiplied by sq ft of unit...

Punit
I have exactly suggested same in my society.
I had suggested that charge "utility amount" (covering expenses for Water, security, House-keeping for Garden, etc) common to all apartments, and charge "Sinking fund" depending upon sq.ft. area.