How secure is Sify Broadband?

Originally posted by ujjwal@Oct 19 2004, 01:32 PM
I saw that ... I do use a firewall, but have configured it to treat the local network as safe ... the only way it(firewall) would run. BTW, I can not see my own comp in the network, but can other users?
[snapback]981[/snapback]
[/quote]
Sify broadband isn't secure, isn't fast, their support s*cks, and we don't have internet ip. ours is local ip. what should we use sify broadband .we must get rid off it. But what about 3500 bucks. Oh sh*t.

Amen.

i dont care about the installation money. i just want a better alternative. the day it arrives, the day i get it.

Originally posted by Sushubh@Oct 19 2004, 01:49 PM
i dont care about the installation money. i just want a better alternative. the day it arrives, the day i get it.
[snapback]986[/snapback]
[/quote]
For you i is not important. but for me. It just a student and it took me weeks to get the permision from my mom for this connection. money matters to me. if she know the money is not refundable i dont know what will happen.
if money does not matters to you . you go with airtel(bharti).
http://airtel-broadband.com/tariff1.htm
check it is availible in you city. this is best and cheap .unlimited of cheap rates.

i understand the money problem. 🙂 i have seen those days. getting independent was one of the best thing to happen to me 🙂about airtel, i used touchtel dsl back in faridabad and absolutely loved it. i am in panchkula, and the only other option is GPRS which is as crappy as sify broadband. the main aim of this forum and the blog is to stop people from paying obscene amount of money to sify under the impression that they will be getting a broadband connection. 3500 gotta be THE MOST EXPENSIVE net connectivity for home in india.

My problem is the same as addicted ... so i'll give sify a try for few more months. BTW, i am probably a more lucky person, apart from teh bblient and such, the service is pretty fair ...

I was hacked to the extreme, a keylogger was installed my liveupdate program for Norton antivirus 2003 was deleted and malicious programs were installed onto my computer. I got very very very angry. This was several months ago before I went on a learning frenzy, today I feel my computer is reasonably protected. By the way I sent several e-mails to sify about the hacker. I know who he is but I don't want to say. I never received even one reply to those e-mails.

yap... what would happen to an uncle sitting on a windows 98 machine with no updates, antivirus, firewall... i cannot even think to imagine...

We are the most insecure on Sify with respect to the local LAN we are on because anyone on the same LAN as us can sniff our Sify username and p@$$word, email username and p@$$word and even what we search on a search engine like Google, to cite a few examples!It's as if our internet traffic is visible to the whole neighborhood :-|

Reliance doesn't provide Cable Internet 😉. And no Internet service that's not provided through a neighbourhood LAN would be as insecure as the ones that are provided through a LAN to our homes. This is because only on a neighbourhood LAN some or all of your neighbours can very easily see all the data that goes to and from your computer.This is in the very design of a LAN. It might be tackled by connecting every computer on the LAN with a switch, I think. But I don't know how many of our CTOs are willing to do that because it's more expensive than using a hub. And if they do it then they will charge us Service Charges for it 😉Of course a neighborhood LAN makes internet access using Sify an affordable proposition. But it helps to be aware of how secure we are on it 😉

I feel someday they'll have to upgrade their technology to provide connections.....this LAN thing cant be there for too long as far as security related things go.

u believe indian ISPs would give a sh*t about security? they blocked ping facility when attacked by a worm. this is how they fix issues. disable the f**king services.