How safe is 1 GB limit

• Thread starter Thread starter anirban76
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 3,528

anirban76

Hello,How safe is 1 GB limit for a month. How much bandwidth is consumed for a regular surf of say one hour. Also can anybody tell me the recent free call announcement by BSNL for august connection holds true.I just got the connection, I want to know what should I do and what not to safely lie within the upload/download limit. And more thing for wrong billing of broadband whom shall i contact. How they redress this issue?I also want to know if there is any error in connection or if any fault develops do their engineers visit the site to correct it like in telephone they do.Please Help.

1gb is quite safe if you are not into d/loading stuff. in case you do, then 1gb is consumed in about 9 hoursthe free usage between 2am to 8am is truebetter to stay within the safety limit. use the normal hours for browsing and email and the free time for d/loading stuff.wrong billing.. well this is a tricky question, for what i say is wrong is not accepted by bsnl.. keep a copy (screenshots) of your usage from bsnl's portal to support your usage. they cannot bypass thati had an error in connection (low speeds) and they sent an engineer to my place the next day with a laptop, and he checked the connection to my satisfaction, found that the modem was faulty and the same was replaced the next day. bsnl treats its dataone users with more respect 🙄 Pupudada!

The way I do it, I try to restrict my bandwidth limit to about 30 MB per day.Sometimes, I use more and sometimes I use less ... so eventually it all adds up ...Its okay for the normal browsing I guess ... but downloading any file greater than 3 - 4 Meg ( anti virus updates, small utilities, etc ) during the peak ( not free ) hours kinda stings 🙁

Originally posted by pupudada@Aug 31 2005, 10:15 PM
1gb is quite safe if you are not into d/loading stuff. in case you do, then 1gb is consumed in about 9 hours

the free usage between 2am to 8am is true

better to stay within the safety limit. use the normal hours for browsing and email and the free time for d/loading stuff.

wrong billing.. well this is a tricky question, for what i say is wrong is not accepted by bsnl.. keep a copy (screenshots) of your usage from bsnl's portal to support your usage. they cannot bypass that

i had an error in connection (low speeds) and they sent an engineer to my place the next day with a laptop, and he checked the connection to my satisfaction, found that the modem was faulty and the same was replaced the next day. bsnl treats its dataone users with more respect  🙄 Pupudada!
[snapback]23720[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks a lot

no need for the thanks mate.. anything, anytime (as longg as i get the time).. i know what it means to be a newbie... i graduated upwards from that same level 😀 Pupudada

coolbuddy_79 nice to hear that `mtnl' is waking up... when will the rest like `vsnl' (who are requesting me to return their modem and to whom i've responded that i'll do the same only after they pay back rs.1000 security deposit in cash.. i'd given the same in cash too... this has been going on for a few months) and `reliance' (whose entry trigerred the mobile boom), `airtell' (no presence in kolkata) wake up??

i did not include `sify' cause they just know how to suck

Yes...I am now enjoying broadband. I use MT800 with Realtek onboard Lancrad.But when I connect to net, my svchost.exe takes 100% of cpu time and my machine hangs. Is it any kind of virus attack? or any settings problem.I use windows 2000 server.Please help

If you are a home user, then dont go for "MB/GB limited packs", unless you are a grandpa and all you do is emailing your son/daughter in Australia. 😛Below is a screenshot to illustrate WHY that is so.

the d/load/upload dataflow in your diagram clearly points that a p2p program is being used. i don t think every home user will be using the same. i too use a mb/gb restricted pack and my usage in less than the total time shown by you is more than yours, but i do not use heavy traffic generating programs during the chargeable hours. 😀 pupudada

Surprise! No I dont use P2P.Anyways, the above post clearly illustrates what I mean. Safety limit? Chargeable hours? A time for dl'ing files and a time for plain browsing?What the hell, u shud not have to put up with all those head-aches. Goddammit, your net connection is supposed to be a facility just like power and water connections - it shud simply be there whenever you need it & let you do what you want without over-shadowing the real priority of getting your work done.(i dont mean to say anything negative about YOU, im saying our ISPs are idiotic - therefore choose decent ones and the bad ones will either go out of business or become better automatically)(its a different matter that even electricity & water facilities are unreliable in our GREAT country 😛)

Originally posted by prathapml@Sep 3 2005, 09:53 PM
Surprise! No I dont use P2P.

Anyways, the above post clearly illustrates what I mean. Safety limit? Chargeable hours? A time for dl'ing files and a time for plain browsing?
What the hell, u shud not have to put up with all those head-aches. Goddammit, your net connection is supposed to be a facility just like power and water connections - it shud simply be there whenever you need it & let you do what you want without over-shadowing the real priority of getting your work done.

(i dont mean to say anything negative about YOU, im saying our ISPs are idiotic - therefore choose decent ones and the bad ones will either go out of business or become better automatically)

(its a different matter that even electricity & water facilities are unreliable in our GREAT country 😛)
[snapback]23991[/snapback]
[/quote]

sigh! i fully appreciate what you say. well bharti is expected to put up their show in kolkata very soon (as announced in today's telegraph paper, 03092005). well bharati is giving 128kbps which is not classified as broadband, but even.. sigh. i shall call it a decent day when a mimimum of 1mbps 24 hours, at decent prices and without datacap is offered.

the isp's are bothered about the huge flow of traffic and they are right. what they do not understandf is that when you release a kid for the first time with unlimited spending power in a sweet shop, they shall purchase everything in sight. after some time, when they will know that they can purchase whatever they want and whenever they like, they will stop eating uselessly. the same holds true for the users of broadband too.

at the moment the only other option in kolkata is `vsnl' and their plans are plain trash, so i have no alternative left but to stick with `bsnl' 😀 pupudada