How much ping and reliability are you getting from Alliance ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Enix
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 99
  • Views Views 20,267
ISP
BSNL
I am planning to opt for Alliance Broadband 160 Mbps Fiber connection. Is the broadband reliable for gaming and what kind of pings do you get to European, Asian and Indian servers ? What are the downtimes and are there much issues with packet loss ?

Last edited:
Its a matter of time alliance will also introduce 399 plan.. they already have 400 plan in ROI circle.

Upvote 0
Jio just came out with 30Mbps unlimited @399

How would you compare Alliance with Jio?
Jio will be better for overall stability and quality of the network. Alliance will match them or give better plans depending on how many subscribers they lose. Alliance fiber is stable overall but Jio is just better with less bandwidth problems and better routing atleast for now.

Upvote 0
I heard that Jio users get Strict NAT type and Jio Support team doesnt know much about ping, packet loss, NAT, etc. You might or might not be so lucky to get the contact details of a person in Jio who actually knows technical stuff. And the upload speed is limited to 10 % of your download speed.

Upvote 0
Download upload is now symmetrical. NAT is moderate so should not have problems with games.

Upvote 0
Looks fine on my side. Alliance Broadband.
Hello 🙂,

Can you tell me if you are using Kolkata plan or ROI plan, and which Modem are you using to get these results? I tried talking to Alliance BB but the executive from their side that they are not able to find out why this is happening and to give them some time to check that out. It has already been 3 days and haven't received any callback from them regarding this. Even the RailTel servers or AirTel servers in Kolkata gives me 45 to 50 ms ping and 30-40 Mbps download, 96 Mbps upload speed. When the executive allowed my PC's MAC and told me to test it directly, the speed dropped down further from 10-15 Mbps for Hamburg to 1-2 Mbps. Gonna wait for few more days and then switch to 50 Mbps plan. I cant pay 1400 INR for a 160 Mbps connection which I get only to the servers within Alliance's infrastructure.

Upvote 0
I got the JioFiber today. Booked today at 10AM, installation done before 2PM. I thought they'll give 150Mbps unlimited, speedtest is giving me this :
10052513901.png

Torrent won't go over 550Kb/s. Is this what you're facing?

Upvote 0
Hello 🙂,

Can you tell me if you are using Kolkata plan or ROI plan, and which Modem are you using to get these results? I tried talking to Alliance BB but the executive from their side that they are not able to find out why this is happening and to give them some time to check that out. It has already been 3 days and haven't received any callback from them regarding this. Even the RailTel servers or AirTel servers in Kolkata gives me 45 to 50 ms ping and 30-40 Mbps download, 96 Mbps upload speed. When the executive allowed my PC's MAC and told me to test it directly, the speed dropped down further from 10-15 Mbps for Hamburg to 1-2 Mbps. Gonna wait for few more days and then switch to 50 Mbps plan. I cant pay 1400 INR for a 160 Mbps connection which I get only to the servers within Alliance's infrastructure.
I am from Kolkata circle. I use Prime+ Plan 85Mbps on Optical fiber connection. Pings to Railtel and Airtel servers are similar for me but speeds are OK.

Upvote 0
I got the JioFiber today. Booked today at 10AM, installation done before 2PM. I thought they'll give 150Mbps unlimited, speedtest is giving me this :
10052513901.png

Torrent won't go over 550Kb/s. Is this what you're facing?
Seems like an issue with the server causing low speeds. Also could be because of higher demand in your area. Wait for some time and keep testing on different servers. And Torrent speeds depend on available seeds on the torrents. You won't get local peering with Jio which you get on Alliance and other local ISPs. You will get truly global bandwidth on Jio.

Upvote 0
I don't get time much that's why even after seeing this topic more than a week ago I am only having time now to post this. Actually for the same reason I can't keep complaining at right time and companies take advantage of the same. Anyway, straight to the point, the reliability factor of Alliance broadband, say on a scale of 5 is somewhere like at 1.5. The ping also, keep changing like every other week, one week I get 160 ping on a german server I game at, but the next week it's ~200-210. They keep changing their routing channels (or whatever the more appropriate technical term there is) even so often.

I took Alliance in March 2016. So it has been 4.5 years I've been their user. Before that I used BSNL exclusively, right from dial up in 2003 till 2016 at a stretch. But I just couldn't deal with their 1.8 mbps speed and 40 GB capping (or whatever the FUP was I don't even remember anymore), so moved to Alliance. And that was my biggest mistake. Even at early 2016, when they had CAT5 connection only, it would drop at office hours (11 AM to 5 PM). It would shock someone if I say how many time the connection actually dropped. Back then I was not aware of software like ping plotter or Gping etc. Otherwise I would have kept a record for my meme collection (imaginary). As I ran a stock market terminal back then, I first hand experienced how terrible Alliance's stability was. At least 10-15 times during those hours I had to reconnect the software. And at night time too it was not perfect, here and there it would disconnect at its whims.

When they upgraded to so called fibre cables around Sep-Oct later that year, I was over the moon thinking now this disconnection issue will be rid of. But I was totally wrong. It remained the same. Only the speeds were improved but nothing else. Their connection outage throughout a day still baffles me.

Here is just one video when I actually had time to monitor the issue, pleasure your eyes at it:
Source

And one simple ping test to google's dns:
Source

I am aware that it depends on LCO, it might actually not be Alliance's fault. But here is the thing, I am the end-customer, and I could not give a rat's bottom about whose problem it is. If anyone is considering to take alliance on, you have been warned. If there was a truly unlimited even 8 mbps connection from a good ISP which worked 24x7, at more price, I would be beyond glad to take them on. Sorry for the rather long post, but it was 4.5 years of agony.

Upvote 0
Really bad experience for you. Have you switched to a new operator? How is the service? Look out for Jio Fiber or airtel if available.

Upvote 0