How much is really enough?

• Thread starter Thread starter vijay911
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 43
  • Views Views 5,801
Originally posted by abdulrahman004@Oct 25 2005, 11:10 PM
Hey raptor i suppose u play cs online coz thats the only game that is IN for so long.
Even i play CS1.6(non-steam) and the best ping i get to a server is 200ms and no less than that. IF possible cud be pls gimme address of servers. Please leave it there or send me a mail on my address below.

The Mods have turned of the PM option again. Its kind of getting over my head now.
[snapback]29464[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah I play cs . The ips are
203.122.58.142 and 202.88.131.139

Originally posted by oldtimer@Oct 25 2005, 06:57 PM
There is another keyword,  which i am sure  everybody here is already using. It  is "discipline". Keep a watch on yourself. Set realistic targets for yourself  by arriving at a compromise between time, content type , cost  and volume of usage. This is highly subjective and differs from person to person. Once you get the hang of this, you should be fine.
You have a lot of self control and discipline. But we dont have that kinda discipline. I like to listen to shoutcasts, watch hilarious videos (available all over the internet), watch flash movies, VoIP, downloads lots of softwares and stuff, i like to do video conferences with my pals abroad. Most of these things are possible on my current connection albeit slow. But some of them are just plain IMPOSSIBLE. With download limits you will have another money timer. You wont be paying by the minute but by the bits and bytes! 😛

Sorry, I don't fit into that category! I feel the Need for Speed without restrictions! B)

All Hail Max 😉 wateva u said, i agree to it 100% 🙂and btw, who all here thinks Broadband=Maximum/Insane Speed and unlimited download with no holds barred ?

Originally posted by sifyfan@Oct 24 2005, 12:57 PM
udayag .... u should never quote if the same post is just above ...
hosting this site requires KB's !! and ofcourse the vitamin M.
[snapback]29322[/snapback]
[/quote]

heh. i am over that phase. so much that i have stopped checking the forum posts manually. and just read the feeds. i am not going to edit posts which puts in junk content just becoz they are not used to posting on forums.

Originally posted by abdulrahman004@Oct 25 2005, 11:10 PM
Hey raptor i suppose u play cs online coz thats the only game that is IN for so long.
Even i play CS1.6(non-steam) and the best ping i get to a server is 200ms and no less than that. IF possible cud be pls gimme address of servers. Please leave it there or send me a mail on my address below.

The Mods have turned of the PM option again. Its kind of getting over my head now.
[snapback]29464[/snapback]
[/quote]

from what i know PM is not off. it just requires 50 posts.

Originally posted by WiZaRd@Oct 26 2005, 10:44 AM
All Hail Max 😉 wateva u said, i agree to it 100% 🙂

and btw, who all here thinks Broadband=Maximum/Insane Speed and unlimited download with no holds barred ?
😀 😀 😀 Me!! Me!!

Originally posted by max@Oct 26 2005, 12:26 AM
i like to do video conferences with my pals abroad. Most of these things are possible on my current connection albeit slow.  But some of them are just plain IMPOSSIBLE.
[snapback]29483[/snapback]
[/quote]

One thing good about BSNL is bod (bandwidth on demand). It makes stuff like video conferences possible easily without switching to a higher plan.

Originally posted by Sushubh@Oct 26 2005, 11:41 AM
from what i know PM is not off. it just requires 50 posts.
[snapback]29540[/snapback]
[/quote]

Look at my post count sushubh

I guess even the receipent also needs atleast 50 posts

a person cant access his PMs unless he has 50 posts. so yes that migth have been ur problem.

hello friends,I notice I have stirred up a hornet's nest. No offence meant anywhere. I am happy that a healthy debate has been sparked off. A lot of people have been clamouring for limitless internet, and they have every right to do so. I just wanted to add to the diversity of viewpoints. If it makes any sense, I use firefox and do not empty my cache.

old timer, better yet setup a caching proxy server (eg. Squid). This will further reduce your bandwidth requirement. I respect your point of view but most of us here don't just want to visit websites and email through pop3. We want to use VoIP, Video conference, play games, download softwares and stuff. These are bandwidth intensive activities which lead to large data transfer (up and down). And this is the reason why broadband has come into existance! It's multi-media apps that have lead to creation of broadband. So we dont find any sense in restricting the downloads on faster connections as these ...

Originally posted by max@Oct 28 2005, 11:28 AM
old timer, better yet setup a caching proxy server (eg. Squid). This will further reduce your bandwidth requirement. I respect your point of view but most of us here don't just want to visit websites and email through pop3. We want to use VoIP, Video conference, play games, download softwares and stuff. These are bandwidth intensive activities which lead to large data transfer (up and down). And this is the reason why broadband has come into existance! It's multi-media apps that have lead to creation of broadband. So we dont find any sense in restricting the downloads on faster connections as these ...
[snapback]29766[/snapback]
[/quote]

Mr.Max,

Please send me the link to the caching proxy server you mentioned ('Squid'). I tried searching with google, but couldn't locate the software. By the way, is this a free software?

Thank you.

Originally posted by cnsbsnl@Oct 25 2005, 11:17 PM
home 250 is peanut the quota get's over much faster than the fuel in my bike, there must be a handful of surfers who can do this within the limit, I am off my surfing habits nowadays still I need 2-3 GB per month,
as some one said it depends on user also, you can try for some pans initially but i am bang sure home -250 will be sufficient for you as per your net usage is described.
[snapback]29466[/snapback]
[/quote]

well, why all of u cling to BSNL, because it is DESI? :angry:

Airtel is cool, switch to it. It will take decades for BSNL
to catch up with Airtel BB in stability, speed, promptness,
customer care (even at 3.15am) answering your queries.

the only justification for BSNL is that they hold the biggest
infrastructure, because they were allowed and government
funded.

another justification, without their often slashing rates,
companies like Airtel will never think of reducting the rates.
BSNL keeps Airtel run for their money, constantly wake
to keep their customers satisfied. B)

otherwise BSNL stinks.

Originally posted by stpmds@Oct 28 2005, 10:20 PM
well, why all of u cling to BSNL, because it is DESI? :angry:

Airtel  is cool, switch to it.  It will take  decades for BSNL
to catch up with Airtel BB in stability, speed, promptness,
otherwise BSNL stinks.
[snapback]29827[/snapback]
[/quote]
There is just one answer to the question. Airtel is not available every where and shall take time to expand and cover the whole of India

Originally posted by vijay911@Oct 28 2005, 04:46 PM
Please send me the link to the caching proxy server you mentioned ('Squid'). I tried searching with google, but couldn't locate the software. By the way, is this a free software?

Here you go: http://www.squid-cache.org/

BTW I dont think there is a Windows port of the software. You will have to run it on a Linux server only. And yes, its totally free! If you want a proxy for Windows then you can use "free proxy" software. It is native windows software but not as feature rich as Squid.