How Much Extra Do I Have To Pay Per Month!

• Thread starter Thread starter quadmaniac
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 3,398

quadmaniac

ISP
Airtel
Ok, So I've been a user of Sify for the past 1.2 months. Their service has been relatively decent (I have a 128kbps unlimited connection, day 150MB limit, night 10pm-8am unlimited).What irritates me to no end is that the price advertised for this pack by sify is Rs 590. However, here is what I am paying:Basic package = 590+ taxes = 662+ Local Cable Maintenance = 50+ Line Maintenance Charges = 34 ================Total = 746 I am in Hyderabad, Begumpet area. I wonder whats the situation in other places in Hyd and other cities. Do you folks pay these thugs such HIDDEN charges as well ?~Raj

Sify's share in this is 590 INR+taxes. The rest depends on your CTO and they're free to charge whatever they wish. My CTO adds a standard 150 INR over the 590. I have to pay only 100 since I was the 1st customer. And now since I host the switch on my electrical connection I get another 50 INR off 😛. So I don't even pay the full taxes 😛.

Sifys share officially is 590 for the pack + 22 service tax = 612 rupees.Their agent from Vile Parle comes right here to Navi Mumbai to collect it every month, so I've been lucky not to pay any overhead.

You lucky guys 🙁N I wonder how you are paying 22 rupees only as taxes, Dukes! The service charge rate is 12.24% ... so that makes it at least 662.

QUOTE(quadmaniac @ Aug 20 2006, 12:56 PM) [snapback]59153[/snapback]
You lucky guys 🙁

N I wonder how you are paying 22 rupees only as taxes, Dukes! The service charge rate is 12.24% ... so that makes it at least 662.
[/b]
I'm not sure. I think the 22 rupees is service tax...perhaps its some other tax (was introduced 4 months ago) and the real service tax is perhaps included in the 590 rupees..

I guess I'm lucky that the Sify employee collects the payments directly from us here instead of the cable guy. One reason why the cable guy doesnt collect it is because the cable guy providing the internet connection here is not the same one who provides the cable television. These guys have unspoken rules about not making collections in each others' territories.

newsflash: Sify suuuuuuuuuuckkkks... (150MB limit on an unlimited connection?!?!?!?)

get Airtel, or really anything else.

QUOTE(vebmetal @ Aug 20 2006, 03:42 PM) [snapback]59167[/snapback]
newsflash: Sify suuuuuuuuuuckkkks... (150MB limit on an unlimited connection?!?!?!?)

get Airtel, or really anything else.
[/b]
Why does that suck ? Not everyone wants to blow 1000 bucks on an internet connection.

Well for one, it sucks because having a limit on an unlimited connection is an oxymoron, not to mention probably fraudulent... and I believe this is something they were sued for, but I have no idea how what happened to that suit.

Secondly, unlimited connections are available for less than Rs. 1000. I believe Airtel itself offers one for around Rs. 700 (128kbps unlimited), which is around what quadmaniac seems to be paying for his seemingly 'unlimited-but-limited' connection.

And finally, in the broad picture IMHO having broadband connections with limits is retrograde, and smacks of the lack of long term vision that I often find characteristic of Indian industry.

QUOTE(quadmaniac @ Aug 20 2006, 10:02 AM) [snapback]59141[/snapback]
Ok, So I've been a user of Sify for the past 1.2 months. Their service has been relatively decent (I have a 128kbps unlimited connection, day 150MB limit, night 10pm-8am unlimited).

What irritates me to no end is that the price advertised for this pack by sify is Rs 590. However, here is what I am paying:

Basic package = 590
+ taxes = 662

+ Local Cable
Maintenance = 50

+ Line Maintenance
Charges = 34
================

Total = 746

I am in Hyderabad, Begumpet area. I wonder whats the situation in other places in Hyd and other cities. Do you folks pay these thugs such HIDDEN charges as well ?
~Raj
[/b]
hey Raj ,
I m from the same area as you, i have a 256 Kbps pure unlimited connection from sify. and even i have to pay Rs. 50 extra apart from my plan charges and service tax, towards maintenance charges but no line maintenance. So my monthly bill comes to:

Plan Charges : Rs. 1000

+ Service Tax @ 12.24% : Rs. 122

+ Maintenance charges : Rs. 50

====================================================================

Total : Rs. 1172

====================================================================

If you are interested in file sharing through Sify LAN then read my other post: http://www.broadbandforum.co/Any-Hubs-In-H...Area-t6242.html

Plz post a reply, if you have the same ip range.

QUOTE(vebmetal @ Aug 20 2006, 10:59 PM) [snapback]59213[/snapback]
Well for one, it sucks because having a limit on an unlimited connection is an oxymoron, not to mention probably fraudulent... and I believe this is something they were sued for, but I have no idea how what happened to that suit.
[/b]
They don't call it an "unlimited connection". They call it an "anytime internet range", which is true to it's wording. I believe they had muddled up the wording with unlimited (150MB per day) and pure unlimited (no restrictions) once but they've taken care of that now.

Secondly, unlimited connections are available for less than Rs. 1000. I believe Airtel itself offers one for around Rs. 700 (128kbps unlimited), which is around what quadmaniac seems to be paying for his seemingly 'unlimited-but-limited' connection.
[/b]
Sify's 128 kbps unlimited connection is for 705 INR. quadmaniac is paying for double the data rate with a modest limitation (150 MB per day). Also personally, I believe it's an excellent plan. It actually gives you scope to download/upload close to 4.5 GB per month, which is humongous. Just take a look at how much corporate lines with 256 kbps speeds and the above download limitation cost and you'll get my point.

And finally, in the broad picture IMHO having broadband connections with limits is retrograde, and smacks of the lack of long term vision that I often find characteristic of Indian industry.
[/b]
Not at all. Bandwidth is expensive at any part of the world, let alone in a third world country like India. And not everyone needs oodles of bandwidth to play around with. If it wasn't for me my household would have been more than happy with a 500 MB per month package. And I think that's the case with most internet users.

Only techies and pirates need all that bandwidth and it's only fair that they pay extra for it in comparison to others (more so for pirates and pr0nhogs). Why should I, a 200 MB per month user, pay as much as a 5 GB per month user?

Siddhesh

Yes, Sify stealing a lot of money by hidden charges, they ,sure, are cheating customers. I am paying additional charges for monthy maintenance, but still they providing me innterruptions /24/48 hours of non connectivity. Great Cheaters! I had to use SIFY since I paid a lot for installation. Cursing my self.

Please read ALL the posts. Sify does not steal. It's your CTO who's doing the stealing. Give credit where it's due.Also, regarding downtime, differentiate between downtime caused due to the CTO's infrastructure and that due to Sify's infrastructure. If you're not able to even ping the gateway then it's your CTO's fault. If you're able to ping the gateway but not connect then it's Sify's fault.I've personally found that CTO faults are quite frequent; about once every 2 months whereas core Sify faults (unavailable SAM/DNS) happen not more than 2-3 times a year and last for anywhere between 10 minutes to a few hours (at worst). The couple of times that Sify's line was down for more than a day, I got compensation packs for free. And I've been using Sify for almost 3-4 years now.Siddhesh