How much can you download from 2 AM to 8 AM?

iamasifyuser

Was wondering the max downloads that BNSL users have done in a current month in Night Unlimited (0200-0800 Hrs) for Home 500 plan?

umm mhm...

mmm i am on airtel. i am just amused why misusing broadband connectivity becomes a competitive field. and then people complain when ISPs ban unlimited usage. use broadband as you use water in your house. u do not just waste it just because u get a fixed bill every month.

Sorry for choosing the wrong wording "leeched" LOL!All I wanted to know is how much can you download in that space of 2 AM to 8 AM.

yea sushubh, what these ISPs need to understand is that even if they offer unlimited... almost nobody can practically fully utilize it 24x7on my 512kbps connection you can theoretically download about 150 GB per month... if you leave your PC on and downloading 24x7...but practically (in reality)... take your power cuts, connectivity downtime problems etc... you cant... 🙂even during the BSNL unlimited time during the first 6 months i only managed to do about 50-60 GB in the last month, and i did try 24x7... but the damn powercuts foiled my evil plans!!! (even though i used a laptop and ups with 1-hr backup 🙂5 GB download on a 512k is just too pathetic... embarrasing evenall the bloody foreigners reading this forum must be ROTFLTAO at us here 🙂ps: the second "T" is "their"

sushubh- I wouldn't compare internet bandwidth with water. Clean water is a finite resource, doesn't matter how you use it, it will get over.

However, internet bandwidth is a man-limited resource. You have 100mbit in japan. Whether they use 40mbit at a time or 4mbit doesn't faze the ISP. This is because the optic fibre is already laid and fiber optic cable has a capacity of 1000 gigabit/s. The only limiting factor in this equation is internet routers. And you can make a connection OC-3 to OC-48 to OC-155 to OC-192 by simply changing(upgrading) your internet router on both ends of the optic fiber. The fibre optic remains the same. The cost of such routers drop drastically as time goes on. In the early 90's, OC-3(155mbit) was costly as hell. Now transoceanic OC-192(9900 mbit) costs less than OC-3.

When bsnl and shortsighted govt policies force an artifical shortage of bandwidth on consumers, its not the consumers who are at fault here. So many countries provide 3mbit, 20mbit, 50mbit etc. Is bandwidth in those countries drying up? Its the content that is the limiting factor.

Recall the telephone situation in India 3-4 years back. Prices for landline equipment in exchanges and mobile tower equipment installed on rooftops have not fallen much from what they were in 2000. But telephone prices have crashed 80-90 %? Why such a discrepancy? Govt policies. Artificial shortage.

I download around 600mb in the night. I begin at 2:10 am and disconnect at 7:50am... just for the sake of overlapping....

Originally posted by Sushubh@Nov 16 2005, 06:19 PM
but india is dependent upon other countries for its bandwidth. isn't it?
[snapback]32236[/snapback]
[/quote]

So is Korea... but it leads even developed countries in terms of net access.

And to keep things in prospective, not many countries (and ISPs) would give you 256 kbps access for 200 rupees a month.

The cost of international bandwidth is not that significant now.

Companies in India can buy the same equipment that Cisco and Juniper sell in Japan. The sale price of dedicated 100mbit for business in japan is about 700 $. The sale price of 256k dedicated in India is 700 $. ( http://techcrazy.theppn.org/archives/2004/...-times-faster/

Reliance acquired Flag Telecom and TATA acquired Tyco's fiber submarine network in 2004. These are the 2 premier fiber optic cable laying companies in the world. http://www.wired.com/wired/archive//4.12/ffglass.html

http://in.rediff.com/money/2004/nov/06spec.htm

netfreak: France Telecom provides 20mbit dsl for 18 euros a month. It also provides 8mbit for 4 euros(220 Rs) a month(payable once in 2 months)

http://rodrigo.typepad.com/english/2005/09...ants_20mbp.html

ISP's don't even provide 256k connections these days. Most start at 512k min and usually 1-3mbit for starters. And the question of providing 256k for 200 Rs. If it was unlimited, well and good but its a pittiable 250MB or 500MB.