How Many Gb Have You Downloaded

• Thread starter Thread starter Xvid
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 6,902
If the speed of your plan increased (say to 2, 8 or 24Mbits), would your usage increase similarly? Would you each download 80-120GB per month still (only do it faster - instead of leaving the computer on 24x7), or would you be trying to leech at max-speed for the whole day?

I can just answer for me. I would leech at max speed once I am done with the downloads. I use a lot of private trackers, and so this is what I really do. I have hardly shutdown my system this year.

@above

which plan are you using buddy?

Tata has a bunch of prepaid time-based plans. I started by using Super Quick 225, and then renewed with a 6 month validity top-up. It's very expensive to use during the day (Rs 23/hr), but with the Night Unlimited addon (499/month), it's free from 9P to 9A, and there's no fair usage policy, and like I said, 4 Mbps. My monthly cost works out to less than 900 a month. I have a MTNL connection for the daytime hours.

If i get a connection of 24Mbit(nearly impossible in India), I would like to buy a link-removed account for 1year and download as much as I can.
My computer would be on atleast for 20hrs a day and I would like to download movies watch them and then delete them as I don't need them any more.
But as I said it is nearly impossible to get a connection of 24Mbit or so in India
I will not dream so big.
But if in near future the prices of internet connection decrease of Airtel is available in my area I will surely use it and do the same as I described above.
I wish that Airtel becomes available in my area as they provide quality broadband service at reasonable rates.
Airtel Rocks.

We are planning to have plans going up to 200Mbits.

Trust me, even at 24Mbits, with or without a RS account, you will find it difficult to keep up - a movie will download in less time than you can watch it. I know this from experience - I subscribe to many channels on Miro, and they would download so quickly that by the time I would finish watching something, 3 or 4 other videos would download - so it's exponential. I would run out of space and have to delete videos on my laptop more often than I would even be able to watch them all - and to me, this is the point of a fast connection.

While a 24Mbit connection is theoretically capable of over 6TBytes a month, that kind of storage space isn't readily available to the average user. What happens instead when you get such speeds is that the traffic patterns are full of relatively short bursts - a movie here (30 minutes for a DVD-sized copy), an ISO there (under 10 minutes per CD), a music album or 2 (2-5 minutes)... rather than at 256k, 1mbit, 2mbits etc where more often the traffic pattern would be a little more solid.

I would hazard to guess that whether the users connection is capable of 500Gbytes or 5TBytes, people with high-speed connections (say, 24Mbits) might download roughly as much as someone with 2Mbits simply for the storage factor - but the former has a better experience. If we throw more bandwidth at the user than he can handle (using the watching videos or playing online games as an example), one might expect that his connection will be idle for more than 90-95% of the time (even then, that's still 300-600GB/month - who has time to watch 100 movies a month?)

I have a 4Mbps unlimited connection at night and just got a RS account couple of days ago. There's a daily limit of 4.65 GB and I exhausted that in just under 3 hours. So, no use keeping computer on 20 hours a day, unless you buy Trafficshare, but that's just more money you have to spend.

Good to know - so that works out at about 150GB per month for those with RS.

I can just answer for me. I would leech at max speed once I am done with the downloads. I use a lot of private trackers, and so this is what I really do. I have hardly shutdown my system this year.

Private trackers aren't the question: what is important is where the peers are. Preferably for us, we would hope that people would seed content so as to reduce stress on the international link, however I'll have to keep a watch on the traffic graphs for the first few months and adjust accordingly.

As for your system shutdown, switching to a faster connection might save your parents on electricity 🙂

i would like to point it out again.

if you are annoyed with your ISP, you tend to overuse/misuse the connection to just take out your frustration.

i am not sure if everyone here is mature enough to use his connection sensibly. i mean, i have stopped using the web for the sake of it.

i do download stuff randomly which i might delete without using it even once. i download backups of my sites on a not so regular basis.

a faster connection would enable me to do that frequently though. but i guess, i would have less need to have everything downloaded when i know i can download something within a couple of minutes and not hours. 😛leasehelp:

----------

i do need a superfast connection to download my flickr pro account data. the way yahoo is going, i feel very unsafe with photos there which i no longer have on my hard disk :frown:

i would like to point it out again.

if you are annoyed with your ISP, you tend to overuse/misuse the connection to just take out your frustration.

i am not sure if everyone here is mature enough to use his connection sensibly. i mean, i have stopped using the web for the sake of it.

i do download stuff randomly which i might delete without using it even once. i download backups of my sites on a not so regular basis.

a faster connection would enable me to do that frequently though. but i guess, i would have less need to have everything downloaded when i know i can download something within a couple of minutes and not hours. 😛leasehelp:

----------

i do need a superfast connection to download my flickr pro account data. the way yahoo is going, i feel very unsafe with photos there which i no longer have on my hard disk :frown:

:hysterical: Agree with you totally.

As for your system shutdown, switching to a faster connection might save your parents on electricity 🙂

Well, thankfully, my computer takes up just about 10% of the entire electricity bill - 100% of which is paid by me 😀

But one argument of yours I do not agree with is that people need to have TBs of storage available. I personally don't see a need. Storage is required more when there is either (1) scarcity of data, OR (2) scarcity of high speed connections. With a high speed connection, I wouldn't have to bother storage. I download something, watch it [my usage is mostly video], delete it if I am running out of space, and then download it again if I need it. That is what I do currently after I recently upgraded my speed. With speeds above say 4 Mbps at my disposal, at affordable rates, I would have all the more reason to do this!

Well, thankfully, my computer takes up just about 10% of the entire electricity bill - 100% of which is paid by me 😀

But one argument of yours I do not agree with is that people need to have TBs of storage available. I personally don't see a need. Storage is required more when there is either (1) scarcity of data, OR (2) scarcity of high speed connections. With a high speed connection, I wouldn't have to bother storage. I download something, watch it [my usage is mostly video], delete it if I am running out of space, and then download it again if I need it. That is what I do currently after I recently upgraded my speed. With speeds above say 4 Mbps at my disposal, at affordable rates, I would have all the more reason to do this!

True, but in any case, you're going to have trouble consuming the 6TB that would be potentially available if we had 24Mbit connections. Most people would be lucky to use 500GB, or even 300GB.

Thx for bumping the old topic:rofl::readtherules::readtherules::hysterical: