How long before Jio deactivates my sim?

• Thread starter Thread starter sniper
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 9,726
I'm a Jio Prime user who hasn't recharged my number since the expiry of my last plan which was May 4, 2018. It's been over a month now that I have not recharged my number with any plan. I am still able to receive incoming calls but outgoing and internet are both barred. I was wondering how long could I keep going like this without recharging my number before it gets deactivated?

90 days is latest I think. They are free to recycle the number after that I believe...

Well over a year in my case. I did not purchase Prime membership for a number last year and neither did I recharge but received a termination email only a week ago.

I have never recharged either. So its been more than 1 and half year since beginning. And more than a year since they started charging.

I still receive incoming calls but can not make calls or send SMS or browse internet.

They send me SMS to recharge every day but I havent bothered. 😀

Have not received any email about termination though.

Is it possible that the deactivation period is different for people who bought their Jio sim prior to April 1, 2017 (I think that's the when Prime was introduced) from those who bought it post that date?

90 days is the minimum they have to wait for you to recharge your number.
I am guessing operators are free to keep the number activated for as long as they want.

From my experience so far, I feel that they recycle the numbers only for connections which do not even register to the network for 90+ days. So if you have the SIM inserted on some device and it connects to the network, I think you should be fine whether you recharge or not.

I had a connection which was taken during the free unlimited usage era bundled with a Lyf device which got de-activated and number recycled after couple of months of non-usage.

Is it true that if you had a SIM (of any carrier) blocked for lost/stolen and did not get a new sim then they deactivate the number within 30 days?
EDIT:
Just talked to an airtel prepaid cc and she said they wait for 90 days for deactivation in that case (too).
I wonder why they have to do this! Most if not all other digital services get deactivated atmost within a few days of request.

Last edited:
TRAI's reason for implementing this saying its for cosumers' benefit and safeguard...is lame...rather, when requested, connection should be deactivated like they do it in postpaid.

personally, i think the grace period is great. sometimes you might end up applying for a connection to be disconnected but only realize a while later that you needed that same number for some task. especially these days when your mobile number is connected to everything from bank account to aadhaar to income tax returns and what not.

even in case of postpaid, i am going to assume that the mobile operator might be able to reactivate your connection till the time the number is recycled. they would not allocate it to anyone else. but you might be able to get it for yourself.

even when they take request successfully in postpaid, they give you 7 days...plus 15 days grace period in case you wanted your number back. so i guess 22 days are good enough of any rememberance/realization buffer.
i think they then take 90 more days or a few months atleast to put the number back in circulation.

Last edited: