How is your VoWIFI experience in Jio?

• Thread starter Thread starter sng_shivang
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 3,436
ISP
Airtel Xstream
I've excellent voice signal for Jio but since I've Airtel Xstream Fiber (100Mbps), my phone connects to VoWifi server instead of VoLTE. I'm all for doing my part for reducing strain on already congested Jio network.

Anyway, I found the reliability to be kinda shaky at best. Many times, I cannot hear the voice of the caller or the caller cannot hear my voice. The problem disappears once I turn off VoWIFI. Whatsapp calling works fine so I don't think there is any high latency issue.

What's your experience of Jio VoWIFI?

Yeah. It's terrible for me too. Same problems.
I also disabled it because when it's on I can't access local SMB, FTP and SSH from my phone, Redmi Note 8 pro. Though that was right after launch. It's been a while and there's been many updates so maybe the bug is fixed now.

Terrible. Too many call drops.

Switched off VoWiFi in the Advanced Calling setting.

Even in VoLTE, calls to Jio numbers are still suffering.

Good most of the times.... sometimes there are issues like either me or the person on the other end cannot hear.... may be due to network at the other end....

Observations on wifi calling with Cloudflare DNS:
1) Expected incoming SMSes like OTP and so on do not get delivered while Wifi calling is active vs ISP's DNS
2) Phone not always reachable.
3) Wifi calling turns on and off at random
Switched back to ISP's default DNS and everything's fine.

Based on everybody's observations it seems handsets might be playing a role in VoWiFi functionality.

VoWiFi has some issues when my phone is connected to a VPN server, and since I have good network coverage at my place, I have disabled VoWiFi.

Jio WiFi calling is pretty unstable for me. It has a lot of disturbance and often people at the other end can't hear my voice or vice versa. I get 1-2 bar network with Jio but calls over VoLTE is excellent.

I use Airtel VoWiFi on same connection and it works fine, so I don't think that I'm having issues due to my Internet.

3rd class. Phone randomly goes out of coverage with full network and 100 Mbps MTNL fiber Wifi. I keep it of since March 2020.

Vowifi is heavily dependent on DNS server & GPS location of device. The handset will share the DNS, handset location using gps to vowifi server via internet(Wifi you are connected with).
If the gps is not properly initialized, or in other words not locked to satellites for your exact location, you may be treated out of India and Vowifi disallows you. As soon as the gps is fixed and you are identified inside India and supported by a local DNS server in India, you are allowed in Vowifi.

It was good, but when I move to another room where WiFi signal is less, then call also drops or voice quality is poor, other side cannot hear me. So I turned VoWiFi OFF.