How is your ISP doing with increased traffic due to the COVID-19?

• Thread starter Thread starter JB701
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 616
  • Views Views 48,111

JB701

🇵🇸🤝🇮🇳
ISP
Airtel
I'm curious about performance of various ISPs considering higher traffic due to COVID-19 Pandemic. Many people are working from home, colleges and schools are closed resulting in higher load on ISP Networks.
Looking at Extreme-IX Traffic Graphs Statistics - Extreme IX , I noticed that traffic usage peaked at 722Gbps on 17th March at around 10PM. There is general trend towards higher peak usage starting around 10-11th March.
Traffic usage has two peaks, one at around 3-4PM and another around 10PM; the peak at 10PM is much higher. Traffic is lowest at around 6AM.

I heard that many small ISPs are running at their max transit capacity resulting on slow downs during peak hours. I noticed this as well on 17th March when international speeds (to SG) on my internet was ~20Mbps at 10:15PM (on a supposed 100Mbit connection). It happened again yesterday night as well. My backup ISP struggled worse at ~2Mbps.

Source

Source

Peered services like YouTube and Netflix were working at full speeds even during peak hours (atleast for me).

Smaller ISPs tend to have more problems with this as they tend to share transit among larger amount of users to cut costs. I presume larger ISPs like Airtel (wired) and JioFiber won't have this issue or atleast to the same extent due to higher capacity.

If possible post your Speedtests to some international servers here at peak times (3PM and 10PM) and non peak times 6AM-8AM ish. To make stuff consistent, try some of the following servers:
Singtel - Singapore
GTT.net - London

For peered comparison tests, you can try the closest servers.'

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I'm facing very slow internet on BSNL FTTH (1277 100mbps plan).

I called the BSNL Office, they told that our network is crowded due to the coronavirus work from home effect, we are working on it.

Forget Singapore,

This is bangalore server, By the way I am from Mysuru.

Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 3.01.19 PM.png

Last edited:
Both my UL/DL are insane; to some server at netherland/singapore I get 1-4 DL but 100+ UL , same for other servers, it is a mix match for Indian servers(full speed on those just few cities far) and ping is insanely high right now.

INsanity Again: 220+ ms pings both on Singtel and London(300+)

UL/Dl: 30/30(SIngtel) and UL/DL:100Mbps/1Mbps(GTT.net)

I lob excitel lul. Getting constantly > 90mbps everywhere.
Singtel and domestic ~ 105mbps
100mbit connection
I guess it has more to do with local congestion at LCO cause anyhow people used to access internet at home or office

I'm on bsnl is it's doing like shit as always, FTTH fails every single day at working hours (11pm to 7pm)

Excitel Delhi 50mbps plan ethernet.
SingTel D/U: 35Mbps/55Mbps
Longdon Gtt D/U: 48Mbps/54Mbps
Tested around 3:20 pm.

Act provided 300mbps upgrade to its customers and they either limited speeds to their non peered servers or their network is unable to handle it
My friend was complaining his speeds feels too slow now but speedtest still shows 300mbps
I tested a few things and looks like all the non peered servers limit to less than 50 mbps