How is the installation performed?

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 9,603

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
ISP
Tata Play 1 gbps, Microscan 500 mbps and PDPL 300 mbps.
Wanted to ask how is the installation process?

For the fiber wire to come inside your room where you want the modem to be, do they drill a hole in the wall to get the wire inside?

I guess for my kind of society (bungalows) they will take the wire overhead on electricity poles - I doubt they can dig underground here.

What is the approximate installation charges?

To expand the FTTH service quickly, BSNL is now giving contracts to LCOs in the area to provide the last mile connectivity. So it depends on your area, if its done by the LCO, the installation charges etc depend on the specific LCO.

In case its done by BSNL itself, installation is free in some states otherwise its Rs 500 or so.

BSNL refused to provide a connection in my area and they are saying bring 7-8 people for connection otherwise we are not going to lay cable up to 500 meters for a single user.

BSNL is hiring LCOs in massive scale across coastal Karnataka for expanding FTTH services. Quite a few well small players (who have no competition due to small cities they operate at) I know are considering a jump to BSNL due to 60:40 revenue sharing proposal, UL landline plans and the trust people have on a govt service compared to private ones.

Additionally jumping to BSNL seem to be having way less headache to LCO guys when it comes to maintaining uptime. The small private ISPs from whom LCOs get bandwidth seem to have one or other problem always. BSNL has way better network than them here. Last mile copper cables were the only issue. Also, laying cables (overhead/underground) is easy as the LCO guys get support from BSNL officials. Permissions from other govt depts to lay BSNL cables seem to be piece of cake compared to the red-tape for laying cables for private ISP.

lol. bsnl would mean that these lcos would charge extra from the customer and make merry. this is not always possible with private companies.

Maybe true in rest of the areas. But here in coastal Karnataka, BSNL officials are quite tough and way more supportive compared to all private guys combined.

True dat.

And with the latest plans 777 (50mbps/500gb) and 1277 (100mbps/750gb) the pricing and FUP are pretty good too.

Was Curious about the charges that would be incurred for the first time?
Thinking to replace my Dad's 10 year old DSL with this, considering the plans

@volcano619 charges may vary according to LCO. in my case LCO didnt charge installation or cabling per meter charges, but charged 3k for the basic ONT fiber modem. on top of that BSNL will charge additional one month rental as security deposit in the first bill.

@volcano619 i believe yes there is Rs. 90 per month "EMI" payment option if you rent modem from BSNL but I guess that will depend on LCO's mind what they want to give you their own modem. Usually there is lack of modems stock (shortage) from BSNL side so LCO provides modem device in one shot cost.

No, there is absolutely no use/need for ADSL modem, these are different "fiber modems" called ONT or ONU (optical network terminal or unit) because the wire is not copper like ADSL but full fiber optic which carries light based signal instead of electric based into the fiber modem ONT/ONU device. This device then converts the signal to ethernet and some have WiFi and also telephone ports.

Dang it..if they could just work all this up and provide a reliable way for installation ,this would have been the best solution...I'm not sure if i would want to invest 3k+ in BSNL that is if they have feasibility in my location 😕

I have completed one month on my new BSNL FTTH connection here in Pune with the 1277 plan of 100 mbps and so far (touchwood) no issues with uptime or speed.

-- dead tinypic image removed --
Today my LCO installed his 50mbps connection from his office to my home as i called him to install my 100mbps today but BSNL generated demand note today and it will take around 2 days to activate my connection. I am in electricity board and he is one of my consumer and after creating pressure he laid fiber yesterday and installed his own connection and modem today for 2 days till my connection activates. Also I choose my own number at BSNL exchange before creating demand note