How is the installation performed?

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
Regulars
Wanted to ask how is the installation process?

For the fiber wire to come inside your room where you want the modem to be, do they drill a hole in the wall to get the wire inside?

I guess for my kind of society (bungalows) they will take the wire overhead on electricity poles - I doubt they can dig underground here.

What is the approximate installation charges?

varkey

Regulars
To expand the FTTH service quickly, BSNL is now giving contracts to LCOs in the area to provide the last mile connectivity. So it depends on your area, if its done by the LCO, the installation charges etc depend on the specific LCO.

In case its done by BSNL itself, installation is free in some states otherwise its Rs 500 or so.

Saifi2649

Regulars
BSNL refused to provide a connection in my area and they are saying bring 7-8 people for connection otherwise we are not going to lay cable up to 500 meters for a single user.

Sai

Regulars
BSNL is hiring LCOs in massive scale across coastal Karnataka for expanding FTTH services. Quite a few well small players (who have no competition due to small cities they operate at) I know are considering a jump to BSNL due to 60:40 revenue sharing proposal, UL landline plans and the trust people have on a govt service compared to private ones.

Additionally jumping to BSNL seem to be having way less headache to LCO guys when it comes to maintaining uptime. The small private ISPs from whom LCOs get bandwidth seem to have one or other problem always. BSNL has way better network than them here. Last mile copper cables were the only issue. Also, laying cables (overhead/underground) is easy as the LCO guys get support from BSNL officials. Permissions from other govt depts to lay BSNL cables seem to be piece of cake compared to the red-tape for laying cables for private ISP.

Sushubh

Administrator
lol. bsnl would mean that these lcos would charge extra from the customer and make merry. this is not always possible with private companies.

Sai

Regulars
Maybe true in rest of the areas. But here in coastal Karnataka, BSNL officials are quite tough and way more supportive compared to all private guys combined.

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
Regulars
True dat.

And with the latest plans 777 (50mbps/500gb) and 1277 (100mbps/750gb) the pricing and FUP are pretty good too.

volcano619

Prononimous
Regulars
Was Curious about the charges that would be incurred for the first time?
Thinking to replace my Dad's 10 year old DSL with this, considering the plans

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
Regulars
@volcano619 charges may vary according to LCO. in my case LCO didnt charge installation or cabling per meter charges, but charged 3k for the basic ONT fiber modem. on top of that BSNL will charge additional one month rental as security deposit in the first bill.