How is Nokia N8?

• Thread starter Thread starter shouvik
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 94
  • Views Views 10,654
Hi

Is anyone using Nokia N8 or know someone who is using it? Is it a good phone to buy?

Looking for your feedbacks and suggestions

Thanks

I've been quite happy with mine. Anything you buy at retail now should come with the latest firmware (Anna), unless it's imported from a country that has a model which has Belle (not many, yet).

Ofcourse for that huge price tag (ARound 21k) you can get a lot of high end phones better than N8.

Such as...? Feature for feature, I can't think of any phones that match the N8 (not an iPhone, Blackberry or Android device that isn't a load of ****). What would you have in mind?

Upvote 0
@operamaniac,
...Android eats up ur battery like anything (thats what I have heard).

dude any present day smart phone does not provide u better battery( i dont know about n8)..but if u take any present day mobile os like android,ios and windows mobile...all of them end doesnt stay for more than a day or so... and any way i feel like n8 is a good phone if u are not precise about operating system...but just have look at "htc incredible s" which is also price around Rs23000..its a good phone...and htc's UI is better than Nokia's...

Upvote 0
In India they might still be shipping old stock ..with Symbian only..better look fr the Anna version...

Upvote 0
I heard that Anna is pretty slow, can someone confirm this?

It's not bad. I typically have my music player and fring open at the very least. I use the camera quite frequently, PDF reader/quickoffice, emoze (push email), foursquare, google maps and of course, a browser. I felt Anna was more responsive than the previous iterations of the system, and quite a bit more stable too - and better when turning the phone to landscape mode - especially when using the on-screen keyboard.

The only thing that took some getting used to for me were the new icons/theme - I feel they aren't as easy to recognize as the previous system icons were, and the theme isn't as pleasant, despite there being some otherwise nice touches. But Belle is even a bit of an improvement on that.

Upvote 0
because it is loaded with symbian and Nokia is moving from symbian to windows phone for their next generation smartphones.

symbian does not have the cool apps that android and iOS have.

though for a web administrator, symbian might have tons of cool apps available (i am guessing this) considering it is a fairly old and open platform.

it is a pretty old device right now. N9 is launching later this month (powered by MeeGo and would be very expensive).

wait for 2-3 months and get one of the new Windows Phone models that Nokia would launch.

Its no more old symbian. It gt Anna now 😛

----------

It lags like .....

otherwise its fine 🙂

And Wt it lags ?? Can anyone list down limitations of N8 🙁

----------

I heard that Anna is pretty slow, can someone confirm this?

Instead its amazingly fast and browser improved a lot .

----------

In India they might still be shipping old stock ..with Symbian only..better look fr the Anna version...

Anna update is easily available. The moment you connect to Ovi, it wil get updated to Anna.

----------

To add to it N8 have Dolby Output and I can bet that no other phone till now have such awesome sound output.

I am using it since last 6-7 months and didn't find any issue. One can connect Mouse and use mouse, connect Pendrive to watch videos and play songs. Still so many features still to be discover and use.

Upvote 0
Actually currently I own Blackberry Bold 9000 and I have already spent too much on its maintenance recently (7k to replace just the screen) and after that the keypad got screwed, am waiting for teh service center guys to call me up and give me a surprising price to fix the keypad.

I bought this phone for 30k and now I am getting recurring expenditures on its maintenance. So I think if I buy an expensive phone, I might have to spend too much for its maintenance later.

I am not sure about Samsung but I am not happy with the maintenance cost of Blackberry 🙁
Using samsung Nexus-s for last 6 months (not from india) .I have dropped it atleast 5-6 times .Quite sturdy.
After the update to 2.3.3on wards works ok. For that price now S2 looks good.

Upvote 0
The Galaxy S2 is a very very good phone. Try to extend your budget and get that.If not the LG Optimus 2x ~23k is a very good phone. Has a more than decent camera. Full HD 1080p video recording etc. etc.

Upvote 0
the entire android ecosystem is better than what symbian has. the quality of apps. the user experience on android. that is why most people suggest android devices these days. symbian is on the verge of becoming the smartphone OS for budget segment devices at Nokia. if you care about new cool apps, you can forget about symbian. if you already know about apps that you want and are available on symbian, then i guess, you can probably skip on android. that's it. the question is more like... you want a device based on Windows? or a device based on Linux? the two platforms are different with different apps availability. devices are just hardware components in the end.

Upvote 0
Does Galaxy S2 has all the features of Nokia N8 (minus the 12 mp camera)?

If not, how is it better then Nokia N8
As operamaniac mentioned, on the software front, it is clearly inferior and on the hardware front, even more so.

Screen - N8 AMOLED - S2 - Super AMOLED+
Processor - N8 - ARM11 680 Mhz S2 - Dual-core XMM6260 - 1.2 Ghz
Screen Resolution - N8 - 640*360 S2 - 800*480
Max. Data Speeds - N8 - 10.2 mbps S2 - 21mbps
Screen Size - N8 - 3.5" S2 - 4.3"
Thickness - N8 - 13mm S2 - 8mm
Video Recording - N8 - 720p@25fps S2 - 1080p @ 30fps

I just don't see any reason for buying the n8 unless the camera is the most important and binding requirement.

Upvote 0
if u use browser a lot.....go for android.....Nokia had shittiest browsers in the markets i think .....that time....when i used that.......Galaxy s browser is like a sexy lady as compared to a fat old lady in nokias:cool4:........don't know how is browser of n8 though.

Upvote 0