How is Apple iOS 5.x working out on iPhone 3GS?

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
My sister in law just purchased the iPhone 3GS (don't ask) and I was wondering whether I should update the phone with iOS 5... I know about the battery issues. I am more concerned about the performance aspect. I do not know what version of iOS is loaded on her unit. Probably iOS 4.x... Speed and performance wise it seems to be doing great. I do not want that to be ruined after upgrading the device to iOS 5.

sanke1

Aug 1, 2005
Mumbai
It would be worth it just for Android ripoff notifications. I have used a 3GS with iOS 5 and it was quite usable.

experience

Nuit incroyable.
Regulars
Dec 28, 2010

No, the battery doesn't drain fast in ios5, atleast not for me.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
quite usable :confused:

from what i saw in the 5 minutes of using it, performance was much better than what i see on my nexus s. smoothness i mean. :p

i am not sure what quite usable means :D does it get worse than iOS 3/4? :p

----------

i guess the new notification system, icloud and OTA updates are worth the risk.

GarfieldDC

Regular
Regulars
Dec 14, 2010
I would recommend updating the 3GS to iOS 5. The 3GS version of iOS 5 is optimized for that device and has a few features missing as it is a lower spec iPhone. Apple learned their lesson with the issues users faced with iPhone 3G & iOS 4. iCloud is definitely worth updating for.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
cool thanks!

still angry that sis in law bought an iphone 3gs instead of an android based device.

sanke1

Aug 1, 2005
Mumbai
Usable in the sense, I felt it was more responsive than iOS4. Maybe a placebo effect. But experience was solid.

GarfieldDC

Regular
Regulars
Dec 14, 2010
cool thanks!

still angry that sis in law bought an iphone 3gs instead of an android based device.

Like I mentioned in another thread, the 3GS although an old model is still a solid device (considering the fact that it runs/supports the latest version of iOS). The pricing is also very attractive. I would recommend it to people.

Although I like Andriod & iOS equally, if I had to choose between an Andriod & iOS device I guess I would go for the latter.

siren

Gadget Freak
Regulars
Dec 3, 2007
Pune
just a suggestion...should have got any nice android phn...more features..eg. galaxy s2 or smthing..:p