How is Airtel Uptime for you? and how fast they fix the downtime?

• Thread starter Thread starter nishantt6969
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 3,817

nishantt6969

I got banned!
ISP
Airtel Xstream Fiber (300Mbps)
Router : RPi-4B (OpenWrt), TP-Link A6 (AP)
What is the reality of airtel's claimed 99.9% uptime for you? how often it goes down? reason of going down is fiber cut or any other internal airtel issue?
Like for me, its been running 24*7 for last 3 months straight. How about you?

Never faced any downtime. If ever there is one then its just for couple of minutes once a year

I have only faced "real" downtime once. And that was because the fiber broke (the one which comes to my house from the FAT box)
They can detect these breakages via OLT and a ticket was created automatically and a guy came and fixed that within 2 hours.

There is some downtime due to maintenance (sometimes for like 30mins) but they schedule it after mid night so it wouldn't affect (most) users.

Airtel is the 🐐. Even at one of the remotest area which is just a few km away from loc, hardly ever faced any downtime lol..

Sometimes I do face downtime mainly due to fiber cut. What they claim is that their competitor is cutting the cable to trouble customers.
I have very rarely faced downtime due to tech issues.
Once a while may be every 6 months there's scheduled downtime during odd hours which is notified by SMS.
While I have had a numerous issues with Airtel is past related to opening ports, billing, badly designed ONTs, wrong deductions and so on, I still think it's one of the best ISP's in India.

Airtel runs rock stable for me with very little downtime, if at all, for months on end. As far as fibre cuts etc are concerned my other ISP TFBB also faces it but it has reduced greatly. So both ISPs are v good but with a vote for Airtel as my current recommendation. But by no means is Airtel perfect their billing systems are crappy. Errors galore.

My connection is down since the day before yesterday (2 days and still counting) after the Holika Dahan- no PON. According to the local technicians, in a lot of places, wires are burnt and they are still working on it. I am sure they won't resolve today also because of HOLI.

Last edited:
I have been using Excitel in my area, which is sort of a townish locality, only one downtime in last 3 months, calculation comes out to be 99.9 percent uptime. Still would want Airtel in my area.

Wow: Airtel is doing some Blackmagic at your places because
  • I usually experience minimum one outage every month under the pretense of 'maintenance' (PON is green on my side).
  • Unlike Jio, who do their maintenance between 12AM and 6AM; these idiots feel like doing it whenever and it goes on for prolonged hours; fucking up my WFH.
  • Few random times, internet just loses speed and hovers at about 1-3 Mbps to which issue resolves if I reset PPPoE or reboot ONU.
  • And if there is a fiber break; then hohoho expect minimum 4-7 days for the issue to fix.
  • Try to reach one Engineer and it will take him minimum 24hours to reach your home. (This will include the pain of me calling him multiple time for FUP)
  • Airtel Customer Service are the biggest liars and asshats in the words, they truly know the art to lie straight especially the Black Customer Service people and they have no control or real information of what actually happens or is going on.
Other than that, when it works. It works really great!
My current uptime is of 3days big deal I might say.
Protocol: PPPoE
Uptime: 3d 20h 34m 5s
RX: 11.86 GB (12256291 Pkts.)
TX: 1.77 GB (6808559 Pkts.)
IPv4: 110.226.000.000/32
IPv6: fe80::d0c5:4266:c2aa:43e/128

My colleague bought an MPLS termination from his home to our Mumbai Data Center just for laughs from Airtel and even that failed to keep up with any kind of SLAs. Dipped almost every week. Speeds are meant to be 1:1 but you will definitely start experiencing packet loss as soon as 95% of BW is reached.

Last edited:
Maintenance here is scheduled 12 AM to 6 AM (always) I don't know why they aren't doing that at your place. And same, the PON light is green and they usually make changes to the BNG so VOIP continues to work at that time because that uses IPoE

There is Jio fiber here, BSNL FTTH (obviously) and another local company. But Jio's ports are full and from what I've heard. They suck here.
People complain that when it rains their connection becomes spotty 😂 maybe an open box? I don't know if they fixed that or not