• Thread starter Thread starter real_india
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 6,991

real_india

Regular
ISP
Airtel
I got my airtel connection this month and since day one there are was the problem of high packet loss(30-40%) and hight latency(800-1000ms) during the night(for 3-4 hours). During the day the connection was absolutely perfect with no packet loss and low latency. I filed a complaint with the customer care on the 20th January. At first an airtel DSL 'engineer' was sent to my place to check my problem. He changed the modem and the splitter and told me to check the connection again during the night. The next day i told him that i was still getting high packet loss and high latency from about 9:00 pm to about 2:00 am. He said my complaint was now forwarded to the back end technical support and within 2 days somebody would come to my place to have a look. One of the team leaders from the technical support team came to my place after 2 days. He checked my line with his laptop and sad that the line was perfect. When i showed him the screenshots of the Ping and Traceroutes i had taken he acknowledged that there was some problem at their side and he would forward this compaint to the 'nock' team. He told me that only the 'nock' people had acces to the routers. In the meantime i was getting this problem daily and i called customer care again and again to check the status of my complaint. I was calling them so regularly that one of the customer care person gave me the number of the Assistant Manager DSL Noida( Mr Sunil Wali). It was Mr Wali who expained to me what was the the real casue of the problem and what was being done to rectify it.He told me that there is no problem of shortage of badwidth at the back end. But there was a bandwidth capacity issue at the local DSLAM(Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer) located in Sector 25 Noida. This same DSLAM was used to provide connections to both Sector 21 and 25. The problem was only happening during the night becasue there mas more load then due to more number of users and the airtel's double speed offer during the night. According to him all the people of sector 21 and 25 would be having the same problem. He told the problem would be eliminated once more bandwidth is allocated to that DSLAM. I got a call from him a couple of days ago and he said that capacity has been increased and i should check the connection for 3-4 days and give him the feedback. The problem has been solved to a great extent. The latency is now stable but there is still some packet loss 5-8%(it used to be 30-40% earlier). Earlier the problem used to happen for a longer duration 3-4 hours but now its only happeing for about 1.30 hours from 11:00 pm to 12:30 pm. I have already given him the details of the situation and he said that he would get it fixed on Monday as Sunday was a holiday for the technical team. So all those people who are getting slow speeds should 1. Do a ping test to see if there is packet loss happening ( with no external load ie downloading or browsing)2. Do a traceroute to check the latency.3. If you see any packet loss or high latency make screenshots of the same. 4. If you want your problem to be solved always insist on speaknig directly with the DSL manager/asst manager of your area. I think the customer care and the technical support staff of airtel are courteous and willing and able to solve the customers problems. I think i have made the right choice in going for airtel 🙂 .

word, if only I understood what all that means! 😛real_india, it would be really great of you if you could explain those instructions in lay english! (e.g. what the hell is a traceroute and how do I do it?).

real_india, if u did any test, how much speed are you getting now?

vebmetal, traceroute is a network diagnosis utility to find the metrics (location, latency) of the path (chain of routers/gateways) that a packet travelling from your computer to a particular server takes. Do a
Code:
tracert [url]www.google.com[/url]
in your command prompt. You will be amazed at the number of hops your IP packet takes when you (most probably) were cosidering to be a direct connection.

Originally posted by SiriusB@Feb 6 2006, 11:04 PM
real_india, if u did any test, how much speed are you getting now?

I am getting slow speeds(10-14KBPS) for about 2 hours staring from 10:30 pm which is the time when the double speed offer starts.
After about 1:00 am i am getting about 40-60 KBPS. During the day it averages between 20-26KBPS. This is because there is packet loss happeing for about 2 hours.

Today Mr Sunil Wali :- Assistant manager dsl technical support( Noida) called me up and told me that the speed problem and the packet loss would be resolved soon. He told me that the many customers of Noida were facing the same problem because the DSLAMs were getting choked in the night due to more number of users and the double speed offer at night. A list was being prepared so that bandwidth DSLAM's located in various sectors can be increased.After 20 days of my initial complaint and daily follow up to both to the customer care and Mr Sunil Wali himself i think the problem will finally be resolved.Airtel has plenty of bandwidth, its just that their network routing has been not been able to keep up with the increase in the number of customers and the double speed offer at night.

Been following your comments about choked up speeds at night in sectors 21/25 Noida at night. I don't understand terms such as packet loss and latency, but what I do know is the bottomline, which is that downloads during prime time hours are godawfully slow. Speeds slow down to as low as 6-10KBps from around 10.30 pm onwards, and pick up only later around 3 pm .I'll be following your exchanges with Mr Wali with some interest. Do keep posting developments on the forum. And thanks for doing all the talking on behalf of others like me.

Well finally my efforts to getting the low speeds and packet loss at night have paid off and the issue is now resolved. A few days ago Mr Wali (Dsl manager technical team Noida) gave me the mobile number of Manager 'Nock' NCR (read-- highest level backend team who have access to the routers). He said that i should talk to him directly, expain the severity of the problem and that way the problem would be resloved more quickly.I called up Manager 'Nock team' NCR and gave him a detailed explanation of my complaint. At first he was a bit shocked 😱 to get a call from a customer directly, but after i told him that his number was given to me by Mr Wali himself he began to listen intently. He said that the DSLAM's of many sector's are getting chocked and the process of bandwidth upgradation ws already unedrway. He gave me an assurance that upgradation of Sec25 DSLAM would be done on a priority basis as the situation was quite bad for Sec 21 and 25.That night when i again checked for packet loss and low speeds, i was pleasently surpised when i saw no packet loss and better speeds. Now this is what i call instant response!!! Since then i have been checking daily and i can safely assume that the upgradation has been done for my local DSLAM.Moral of this story---If you have any serious problem with airtel insist on talking to the technical team becasue they are the one's who will finally solve your problem.

Originally posted by real_india@Feb 26 2006, 11:49 PM
Moral of this story---
If you have any serious problem with airtel insist on talking to the technical team becasue they are the one's who will finally solve  your problem.
[snapback]42990[/snapback]
[/quote]

hmm. to continue my chronicles of the friendly neighbourhood airtel guy...

i might have had airtel for a quarter now, but have already gone through three (or is it two?) 220bx's. the first (via usb) would hang my main computer. the second... don't remember, but that had to replaced too.

the third gave the strangest problem. it would go unresponsive (no pinging 192.168.0.1) but suddenly come back to life after five minutes. sometimes, the frequency of this FUBAR was every three minutes.

since FNAG had come home a few times, and knew the exact problems/pungas, i called up airtel CC and specifically asked them (maybe a mistake) to send him.

he called up an hour later, freaked out. turns out that airtel's flowchart mentality is... well, even more simplistic than i thought. their idea is this: after a chap is sent on a home visit, ANY complaints from that customer within the next, say, 2 months, count as a downer for the home-visit engineer. it's bizarre, because the assumption is that a recall means the customer's original problem was not fixed at all. now, while that may be the case sometimes, this mental/management/technical/organizational orientation does not allow for the possibility, that the re-call is due to the emergence of a NEW problem, which might not be due to the home-visiting guy.

i think airtel (and most other broadband companies) are so used to hearing vague descriptions like, "my connection isn't work. send someone ASAP" that:

1) they've internalized the notion of "the-customer-is-a-fool. let's fool them by suggesting the standard line of 'reboot the system and see if it works'."

2) re-calls, which FNAG assured me must not cross 30% (or he'd get fired) are feared, and thus, sought to be avoided.

how? the only way: bypass the system.

if FNAG was liberal enough to give me his mobile number (something i didn't ask for, and normally don't) he surely had given it to others - so that 'his' customers could call him directly, without bringing airtel's CC and checks into the loop i.e. reducing the chances of his ass getting fired. and each time he'd come to my place, it was to replace a crapola modem supplied by airtel. so, if those visits were counted, he would've been taken to task for no fault of his. why? because on a computer screen in the CC, a 'problem' is treated as a Problem, whether it's the customer's fault or the company's.

sheesh.

p.s. the modem-going-unresponsive issue had the strangest fix. FNAG called up mr.senior-beetel-engineer-man, who had encountered this problem before. the solution: to change, in/via xp, the speed of my NIC, for 100 to 10mbps.

now, if that's not bizarre, i don't know what is.

Ther is a big gap b/w the cust and the field team though those #^@%$!@ are there but they just worsen the prob.Try thisCall up 121 and just put in a technical complaint or may be which is an oftrack one some thing like no all lights on but no ping or some stuff like that take a referance number ,and then insist on the exec to tell you the xact wording he/she has used for the complaint ,u would notice every thing xcept the prob has been take care of.And also what i have started wonder ing some times do these guys actually register a complaint bcos they can narrate any ref num to u and hen later on all they have to say is sorry sir this number is not there.

guys NOC is any ceter which is centralisez to an operation even the military uses it that bush has a NOC ,so ,has airtel leased it out to the US Sec