• Thread starter Thread starter vkam2000
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 1,311

vkam2000

Regular
ISP
Panaji-goa
I wish to purchase a good and cheap wireless router for my Bsnl connection.Reason is I want to access internet wirelessly on my laptop in my room on the floor above.Currently I have a UT-300R2U modem, which isn't the best one so I have two modems in mind

1.Nokia Siemens Router
This router is available at my local exchange for Rs1800.

2.Beetel 450BXI
This router is available on Ebay for Rs650 as seen here.

My concern is how good is the range of the router, since my room on the floor above is not only separated by distance but also by solid concrete, will the signal be good enough for a 256kbps connection.

Also important is the stability of these routers.The UTStarcom router I have is horrible and has the tendency to hang in some conditions the solution to which is to disconnect & reconnect the adapter and wait for the modem to kick in operation.

It is wise to use a BSNL supplied modem. A wifi modem costs Rs. 80 per month rent. If you use a third party modem, you won't get support if there is any problem. For example, you are getting very slow speeds or frequent disconnections etc. In that case you need to fix it yourselves. If you are confident about that, go ahead with a third party modem of your choice.

I am confident about fixing and configuring the modem on my own by following the user manual & guides.However my concern is the same, regarding the reach and power of the wifi signal on the modem.That is in fact my sole reason for buying a new modem !

the best wireless router is the Linksys wrt 45g as with this modem you can boost signal strength to over 200m with a hacked firmwre..

What about the routers I mentioned ?

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

I want to know the range and signal strength of these routers, thats my main query !

I dont know about those modems i only told you about the one i knew... but if you are confident of fixing any network related problem which may occur with your modem i suggest go for Nokia siemens . I hope the router you will buy will be NEW?

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

mention model number and i can tell you the specs

I'm looking forward to go for a new one ie Nokia Siemens, purchasing from my local exchange.The Beetel one I've mentioned is a used one and I cant quite trust the brand and even its condition.My friend will lend me his Nokia Siemens router tomorrow to test.I'll let you know the results of its and I may also need tips to boost its signal strength.