How do I upgrade from copper to fiber Airtel.

• Thread starter Thread starter BornArcher8
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 3,541
ISP
Airtel Fibre
Jio 4G
So my apartment till recently only had Airtel copper (vdsl2 I think) and the listing max speed is 16 Mbps (I get like 25 usually though). I want my connection to be upgraded to Fiber. But the guy who installed Airtel Fiber doesn't seem interested in upgrading our existing apartment connections to fiber. Though he is giving new connections as Airtel Fiber.

The thing is I can't just change my plan and get an upgrade as all the plans have 16 Mbps in Airtel Thanks app. Also my apartment is still listed as without fiber when you try getting a new connection. When I call 121 they basically say they can't do anything and just keep telling me to wait 24-48 hrs or even 15 days.

Is there anything else I can do other than just terminating my current connection and getting a new one directly from the guy giving fiber?

@BornArcher8 You can upgrade to fibre only if/when Airtel decides to install fibre in your area. And until that happens you will see a max of 16 Mbps speed in the app. You can call 121 and ask them about any plans to upgrade their service in your area.

@Chip My apartment has Airtel fiber lol people already have fiber connection too. The problem is as I said the guy doesn't seem interested in upgrading existing connections. And when I check app all my plans are still 16 Mbps.

same was the case with my connection. they have not converted from copper to fiber even after 5/6 months new fiber connections were being installed. i complained on twitter/mail/cc etc. but dunno how but 1 day i got a message in the app saying fiber connection is now available

@BornArcher8 As I mentioned above have u tried asking 121?? Is yours a LCO connection? Try getting through to them via social media.

@Chip Yep tried 121 they just say the available connection for you is copper and your current connection is also copper and they just keep telling me to wait. I tried twitter too but they I didn't get a respond. I will try 198 today.

I think the copper is a standard airtel connection (the copper DSL is like 12 years old at this point) and the fiber is LOC. I am not 100% sure about it though. I think my option is to just terminate the current connection (sort of a hassle) and get a new one directly from the guy as even the website/app shows no fiber availability for my apartment or just wait and hope it happens soon.

Thanks for your help btw!

Yep tried 121 they just say the available connection for you is copper and your current connection is also copper and they just keep telling me to wait. I tried twitter too but they I didn't get a respond. I will try 198 today.
That guy you say isn't interested in giving you a fibre line may be your way out of this. He's probably a LCO who won't respond to people who have direct Airtel connections for eg your copper DSL. So do one thing, talk to that man and tell him I will cancel the DSL and take a fibre from you only IF you give me a fibre connection. Once he does that proceed to disconnect the DSL line by calling 121.

Make sure he installs the fibre line and gets it working before you have your DSL disconnected. Airtel will call you several times with some goodies on offer esp. discounts. Just firmly decline.

Update - Decided to cut the DSL connection (I can live a few days with mobile data and the guy said he will give me a new fiber connection). The 198 person escalated to senior who said fiber is possible and said some technician will come tomorrow. If no one comes senior said he will call me Friday morning and said he will only disconnect my connection. Hoping the current one gets upgraded to fiber (just less hassle) but if it doesn't I am just going to close the current DSL one and get the guy to install the fiber.

Update - Fiber connection done. ONT I got is - ZTE F670LV9.0. Input power is -23 and output is 2.37 dB. Speedtest (my plan is 100 Mbps)-
4lkd7Hw.png

Last edited: