How do I get Airtel to upgrade our locality from ADSL to Fibre?

• Thread starter Thread starter retionac
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 1,911
ISP
Airtel ACT
I've been using Airtel ISP for more than a year. Initially they promised that they will upgrade our area to Fibre but it's been more than an year. I spoke to everyone from Customer Care, Service Engineer to Nodal Appellate Authority. The Customer care says they don't know, service engineer says it is not physically possible, appellate authority says they will start the service soon.

Should I just switch to some other ISP which offers fibre from the 40 Mbps VSDL?

they will only upgrade to fiber if more customers request in your area i guess, if its taking time i would suggest to switch to some fiber ISP's which are good, do your research before switching

Hi all

I have a similar question

I am using Airtel broadband since 2006. Currently my connection is 16 Mbps VDSL

Recently came to know that Airtel fiber is available in my vicinity (my neighboring houses got it)

I called airtel customer care multiple times for migration and told them that fiber connectivity is already there in my vicinity - but each time, the customer executive is not able to provide an answer

I'm from Kochi, Kerala.

Lol as i said before they wont provide fiber for a single customer, i have contacted airtel for a connection since ages still no response, now i am using Asianet Gigafiber its been pretty stable and ping everything seems to be low and no issues with speeds. i am on 200 mbps plan getting 200mbps all the time

Airtel Fiber if available in your area would show higher speed plans on airtel thanks app for your connection.

No @Sushubh. It doesn’t necessarily. In my case the app showed nothing but Fiber was available. The point is CC knows whom to hand your call over to, mainly the local Fiber rollout & maintenance in-charge team. Your entire success of setting up Fiber or not depends on the timelines you negotiate with this team.

Genuinely curious. If somehow I book requests for Airtel broadband near my locality using multiple phone numbers would that increase the chance of getting a Fibre line. Of course when they ask for feasibility, I'll tell them I won't signup until I get a minimum of 100 Mbps. Has anyone ever done something like this?

An update guys

I e-mailed AirTel CC regarding migration of VDSL to fiber. I'm pasting the e-mail conversation for your reference

Code:
On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 at 09:13 PM <xxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

I have an airtel VDSL broadband connection (customer ID xxxxx).

I am residing at xxxxx, xxxxx (State - Kerala, City - Kochi, Pin code - xxxxx)

I recently came to know that airtel fiber connectivity is available in my vicinity (since my neighboring houses got the airtel fiber connection)

Please migrate my old VDSL connection to Fiber connection - I want to retain my existing airtel land line number after the migration to fiber connection

I humbly request you to take up this matter on priority basis, as fast internet is an important requirement during the current pandemic scenario.

If any additional information is required please contact me on my cell.

Thanking You

Yours Sincerely

xxxxx

xxxxxx

=========================================================================================

On Fri, 18 Jun, 2021, 5:17 pm E Support, <xxxxx> wrote:
Hello xxxx

I am xxxxx, your Airtel Experience Advisor.

This is in response to your email on shifting for your Airtel account number xxxxx.

I am unable to process your request the above mentioned number is unable to open from our end.

Please write back to us with your valid Airtel mobile number, fixedline number or DSL id and I will be happy to help you.

Hope it helps!

Regards

xxxxx
Advisor - Customer Experience

Bharti Airtel Ltd

=========================================================================================

On Fri, 18 Jun 2021 at 06:46 PM <xxxxx> wrote:
** External Email. Treat hyperlinks and attachments in this email with caution. **

Hi

My landline number is xxxxx

Thanks
xxxx

On Sat, 19 Jun, 2021, 12:46 pm 121, <xxxx> wrote:
Dear xxxxx,

Greetings from Airtel!

This is in reference to your email requesting a change of bill plan for your airtel fixed line number xxxxx.

Following your request, we checked the feasibility of providing maximum bandwidth at your location. While it is our endeavour to provide superior browsing experience, some areas or locations are not feasible for higher bandwidth. The maximum bandwidth applicable for your location is 16 Mbps.

Please note, bandwidth upgradation also depends on distance of your premises from the nearest Remote switch unit (RSU). Owing to certain technical limitations, the requested bandwidth could not be provided at your premises. However, we have noted your feedback on this and should in case the same be made available in future, we shall intimate you through relevant media.

Thank you for writing us,

You can ask us your questions using Airtel Thanks App. Your feedback makes us better every day.
Regards,
Airtel - Open To Questions

On Sat, 19 Jun 2021 at 12:52 PM <xxxx> wrote:
** External Email. Treat hyperlinks and attachments in this email with caution. **

Hi

As per your mail, maximum speed available at my location is 16MBPS, but my neighbouring houses have already got Airtel Fiber connection - then how can you say my location is limited to ADSL speed?

I'm waiting for your explanation.

Thanks

xxxx

xxxx    Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 5:13 PM
To: xxxxx

Dear xxxx,

Greetings from Airtel!

This is in reference to your email requesting a change of bill plan for your airtel fixed line number xxxxx.

The maximum bandwidth we can offer in your area is 16 Mbps and therefore the speed of 16 Mbps requested by you could not be provided.

I am enclosing the available bill plans up to 16 Mbps (as per the max bandwidth) for your quick reference.

Following your request, we checked the feasibility of providing 16 Mbps bandwidth at your location. While it is our endeavour to provide superior browsing experience, some areas or locations are not feasible for higher bandwidth.

We do understand your point on 300 Mbps bandwidth being provided to your neighbour.

Please note, bandwidth upgradation also depends on distance of your premises from the nearest Remote switch unit (RSU). Owing to certain technical limitations, the requested bandwidth could not be provided at your premises. However, we have noted your feedback on this and should in case the same be made available in future, we shall intimate you through relevant media.

We seek your cooperation in this regard.

For further queries, please do email.

You can ask us your questions using Airtel Thanks App. Your feedback makes us better every day.
Regards,
Airtel - Open To Questions

So they are adamant that fiber connection is not possible despite neighboring houses already receiving fiber connectivity

In the midst of this, another incident happened - one of my airtel DTH set top boxes got a complaint and I had it replaced. I chatted with the visiting technician and told him about the broadband situation. He shared the number of a local airtel office which handles new broadband connection.

Called the number and a very helpful lady answered

-- she told me that it should be possible to get a fiber connection to my house -- BUT -- they are helpless to migrate my old connection

As per her, If I request new connection from them with new registered mobile number, they'll install new fiber connection - if I pay the selected plan bill for 6 months in advance, then everything is free (installation, modem etc)

She told me they have seen other customers requesting migration, but have never seen anyone get done it as of date

She even shared that the airtel landline + broadband in their office is of the old ADSL / VDSL type and they themselves had requested migration to fiber - but have not been successful.

Also, it appears that JioFiber is getting ready to start services in my area - I got their flyer along with newspaper. Upon contacting the number in the flyer, the person told me that services would be ready most probably by July 1st week - and they would be able to provide 1 month demo once the services are ready

So what do I do now? Wait for Jio demo - or - try to apply for new connection with AirTel?

Thank you for your inputs

I would say Apply for a new connection for Airtel with a different number. The number won't matter anyway, as you put your landline number and pay the bill anyway.
Also, I don't know if this works but if you can get your VDSL thing removed and the number registered with it in their database too, you will have a Fiber connection on the same number.
Why I am not suggesting Jio is they provide 4-5 Mbps less than the plan speed and on some models of the router, their Wifi sucks. And you don't have an option for Bridge mode.
If you don't have a big carpet area to cover with Wifi, you can go with Jio. It just works

Last edited:
Jio is a pure consumer-centric telecom-model. They provide Internet and it works. You can’t expect any more self customisation, like opening ports, using own router in bridge mode, etc.

Fiber migration is possible only if the local switch (the thing referred to as Remote switching unit in the email) has been upgraded to plug into their IMS core network. Most likely it’ll take years. You can in the meantime downgrade the old VDSL to a landline only plan and take a new Fiber connection.

Hi all - an update:

So I went forward with a new airtel fiber connection under new registered mobile number

Applied for new connection on 1.07.21 and paid 6 month advance for 499 plan (which avails free installation) which came upto Rs.3532 after GST

Install team contacted me today morning (04.07.21) and the installation was completed by around 5 P.M.

I asked install team to remove the ADSL wiring from interior of my house - they obliged and used the old ADSL wiring path to bring the new fiber cable into my house.

Router received was Sercomm AOT-4221SR - it came pre-configured with my account details and link was up as soon as they connected the cables and powered on the modem

so here are some speed test screen shots

Capture.jpg

Capture-2.jpg

So the speeds are closer to 50 Mbps than 40 Mbps - I'm happy. Also first time I'm seeing such upload speeds - earlier ADSL upload speeds were pathetic lol

Sent disconnection e-mail for ADSL ID to 121 today itself after clearing latest bill

Meanwhile, I have to figure out how to put this airtel modem to bridge mode so that I can use my Archer C6 - any pointers?

Thank you for all your inputs so far.

Best Regards