How do I configure my newly bought D-Link DSL-2730u Wireless N 150 ADSL2+ 4-Port Router(cum modem)?

• Thread starter Thread starter samjoad
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 117,131

samjoad

ISP
airtel
Recently, I bought a D-Link DSL-2730u Wireless N 150 ADSL2+ 4-Port Router(i.e also modem) to connect to my Airtel broadband. I've given up after repeated failures to connect to the Internet.When I ran the diagnostics through 192.168.1.1 of the modem, the process is failing in the step when its connecting to the ISP. I've validated the ISP's username and password but still It gets failed there.Though, I am getting a valid DSL signal, but after that its throwing the error 651.I'm using Windows 7. And searched the net for all possible solutions for this error. Tried each one of it, nothing's working.Am I configuring the Modem right? Please assist as to what settings I must put.Thanks in advance.

^ I don't know which fields are required for D-Link but I recently got a Linksys WAG120N and for setting up I changed the following -Encapsulation - RFC 2516 PPPoEMultiplexing - LLCQoS - UBRVPI - 1VCI - 32DSL Modulation - Multimode (if it does not work fall back to G.Dmt)Username and Password -DNS Server - Use Airtel / OpenDNS / Google DNS / DNS AdvantageHope it helps

Follow these steps in this order for D-Link 2730 modem, for setting up both as a LAN router and Wifi Access Point. Connect the LAN cable to LAN1 port on router and login to router ip (192.168.1.1) for doing these setup. Login with admin/admin as userid/password.1) Advanced Setup-> Layer2, Add atm0 with default settings2) WAN Service -> Add with Bridge type selected, keep others default3) Wireless ->Enable Wireless, and give your own SSID, keep others default4) Wireless-> Security-> Give Network Authentication as WPA-Personal, and passprase will be your own password to connect to WiFi5) Interface Grouping -> Give a group name as WAN, and select WL0, LAN2, LAN3, LAN4 from right to left, Apply/Save. Now there should be 2 groups one Default with LAN1 and other with new Group Name6) LAN -> In the right top dropdown select WAN group and disable DHCP, Apply/Save7) Management->Settings->Backup your settings8) Management -> RebootConnect the output from Tikona to LAN2 port on the router, connect your laptop to Wifi on the router using the SSID/passphrase. This should work, else shutdown router for 10 seconds, disable your wireless network and log-off/on again, enable wireless network and try connecting again.After this the ethernet wire coming from Tikona should be connected to LAN2 port, and you can use wifi. Note that LAN1 port is used to connect to the router only (192.168.1.1) after this setup.RegardsShashi

I followed these settings on my dsl 2730u. I 'm trying to connect to my phone and laptop to the wifi network. I connected my laptop first and then tried to connect to my phone. I'm getting redirected to my Internet service providers login page on my phone and once I login on my phone, I'm not able to access internet on my laptop. Is there a way to resolve this?

Check if there is an option Clone PC MAC address under Advance Setup->WAN->Edit. If it is there try cloning the PC mac address so that the ISP sees only one device connected. Its there on my 2750u not sure about the 2730u. May be this helps in this issue.

smshashi said:
Follow these steps in this order for D-Link 2730 modem, for setting up both as a LAN router and Wifi Access Point. Connect the LAN cable to LAN1 port on router and login to router ip (192.168.1.1) for doing these setup. Login with admin/admin as userid/password.1) Advanced Setup-> Layer2, Add atm0 with default settings2) WAN Service -> Add with Bridge type selected, keep others default3) Wireless ->Enable Wireless, and give your own SSID, keep others default4) Wireless-> Security-> Give Network Authentication as WPA-Personal, and passprase will be your own password to connect to WiFi5) Interface Grouping -> Give a group name as WAN, and select WL0, LAN2, LAN3, LAN4 from right to left, Apply/Save. Now there should be 2 groups one Default with LAN1 and other with new Group Name6) LAN -> In the right top dropdown select WAN group and disable DHCP, Apply/Save7) Management->Settings->Backup your settings8) Management -> RebootConnect the output from Tikona to LAN2 port on the router, connect your laptop to Wifi on the router using the SSID/passphrase. This should work, else shutdown router for 10 seconds, disable your wireless network and log-off/on again, enable wireless network and try connecting again.After this the ethernet wire coming from Tikona should be connected to LAN2 port, and you can use wifi. Note that LAN1 port is used to connect to the router only (192.168.1.1) after this setup.RegardsShashi
I tried follwing your instructions for my similar in2net connection which uses tikona like setup. In the interface grouping section on clicking save my router hangs, any ways even without any settings only one of the devices(android phone with pppoe) or my laptop connects . I am unable to simultaneously use both my device using this same router. I connect the ppoe lan cable to the lan port and a ppoe connection helps me connect to the intenet both on my lappy and the android device.

Hence how to get multiple access over wifi?

rj27 said:
Check if there is an option Clone PC MAC address under Advance Setup->WAN->Edit. If it is there try cloning the PC mac address so that the ISP sees only one device connected. Its there on my 2750u not sure about the 2730u. May be this helps in this issue.
Thanks for your response.
There is no such option on my 2730U

Alipp said:
I tried follwing your instructions for my similar in2net connection which uses tikona like setup. In the interface grouping section on clicking save my router hangs, any ways even without any settings only one of the devices(android phone with pppoe) or my laptop connects . I am unable to simultaneously use both my device using this same router. I connect the ppoe lan cable to the lan port and a ppoe connection helps me connect to the intenet both on my lappy and the android device.

Hence how to get multiple access over wifi?
Only 2 devices are allowed at a time in Tikona. I am able to connect my laptop and android at the same time. We need to login at tikona site from both devices to use internet. You did not mention the error. What error are you getting?

smshashi said:
Only 2 devices are allowed at a time in Tikona. I am able to connect my laptop and android at the same time. We need to login at tikona site from both devices to use internet. You did not mention the error. What error are you getting?
as explained above internet is working fine on any one of the device, for each device i have to do a PPPOE connection with username and password. what i want is to make this router as a gateway for all my devices, such that i dont need to login from each of the devices. Moreover due to this I can connect any one device at a time, infact for android i have to use a special pppoe dialer, in windows there is already a pppoe dialer . I get no errors but just my device disconnects if another device connects

MAC cloning can only solve it which option I guess which is not available in this router as mentioned earlier in this thread. If your android phone is rooted you can give a try to the MAC Changer applications through which setting the MAC address of your phone same as your PC for a trial if it prevents the logout. Or check a similar software on the windows -
http://download.cnet.com/Technitium-MAC-Address-Changer/3000-2085_4-10554920.html
But first please double check if there is MAC cloning option available under any of the option under any of the setup menu/sub menu of the router, that make the life easy :smile:

rj27 said:
MAC cloning can only solve it which option I guess which is not available in this router as mentioned earlier in this thread. If your android phone is rooted you can give a try to the MAC Changer applications through which setting the MAC address of your phone same as your PC for a trial if it prevents the logout. Or check a similar software on the windows -
http://download.cnet.com/Technitium-MAC-Address-Changer/3000-2085_4-10554920.html
But first please double check if there is MAC cloning option available under any of the option under any of the setup menu/sub menu of the router, that make the life easy :smile:
the problem is not with MAC ,as i am able to connect ANY device , but only one at a time. I just want to make my router a gateway for the pppoe connection , moreover i am able to share my internet connection from my laptop using netsh commands over wifi , so mac is certainly not an issue , It seems VPI VCI numbers are different for my ISP

^^Most of the ISP who log out from one device when you log through another, do this based on the MAC address verification on your ip address which in most cases is a static ip address. As soon as they detect a second Mac address on the ip address they terminate the first session and ask for fresh login. In such a ISP setup you can use the net on any number of devices 5-10 but not at the same time coz of the 1 login policy. To overcome this type of situation Mac address cloning is needed either on router level or at device level (rarely used). May be your scenario is a bit different on which someone else might be able to give better input especially those using the same router.

Hi I have a query i am sure this is pretty small for your guys but been struggling with it for 2 days.
I have 2 Laptops , 4 LAN based computers and one D-Link 2730U(earlier I had BSNL net but due its shit service got it disconnected)
2 LAN computers have Printers attached to it.
I just want to connect these Laptops and Computers so that the printers can be used by all. I have reset the D-Link to factory settings and would be glad for anyone who could help me with this.
Thanks in advance.
Regards
Akarsh